News:

Main Menu

Quark 7 PDF's

Started by almaink, February 21, 2008, 07:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on February 21, 2008, 04:00:37 PM
Quote from: Joe  on February 21, 2008, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: almaink on February 21, 2008, 03:29:29 PMUpdate on the problem. I just talked to the designer and she also made the tif image 70% transparent in Quack!
She said "I don't like to have to open up Photoshop when I can do it in Quack"! No wonder it had issues. drop shadows are one thing but manipulating an image in a page layout program is just asking for trouble, remember Quack Vista?
I give the Fxxx up. Thanks for looking and offering suggestions tho...

LOL...but her last printer never had any problems! :axe:

customer just said the exact same thing to me yesterday about her Quark 6.5 file..   she has been converted to Indesign.  :evil:

she came by to go over some issues we were having with her file, fonts, RGB images, you name it, it was wrong..   I bit a damn hole through my tongue when she told me other printers had NEVER had any problems with her file...

it took all of 5 minutes and showing her just a couple of things in Indesign, and she said, "Well, I have been thinking of switching over anyway, just been scared to make the jump into learning a WHOLE NEW APP"...  :rolleyes:  all it took was showing her they really arent all that different, and she bit, hook line and sinker..    Sorry Quark!(no Im not)

Here ya go. You get a gold star for converting someone from the depths of Quark Hell into InDesign paradise.
Mac OS Monterey 12.4 | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 21, 2008, 03:48:12 PMHappy to oblige!

All members that have not posted in this thread should...just so they can be a part of history.

ninjaPB_43

Thanks for the gold star, its just what Ive been needing.  Too bad she'll take her polished Indesign file elsewhere next time..   (kidding, I hope..  it just seems to be the way)  :cheesy:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

beermonster

quack sucks - i have it in mind to no longer upgrade - i'll stop at v7

am i part of history now?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jezza

Earlier on this week I had the opportunity to use 7.2 on a fairly meaty Dual 3Ghz duo core with 5 Gig of ram at a freelance gig. I couldn't believe how poor the whole thing was. QX couldn't even draw the damn screen correctly. Ruler increments webnt all screwy and text changed appearance changed as you dragged a marquee over it. And it seemed really sluggish.

Drag application to bin, then empty bin.
one sick prepress mofo

born2print

Quote from: Joe  on February 21, 2008, 04:14:48 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 21, 2008, 03:48:12 PMHappy to oblige!

All members that have not posted in this thread should...just so they can be a part of history.
I'm in
 :afro:
Take me to your ladder.
I'll see your leader later.

Joe

Quote from: born2print on February 22, 2008, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: Joe  on February 21, 2008, 04:14:48 PM

I'm in
 :afro:

You are now on "the list"...

Quote from: beermonster on February 22, 2008, 07:06:34 AMquack sucks - i have it in mind to no longer upgrade - i'll stop at v7

am i part of history now?

And so are you.

:window:

doubting_thomas

Quote from: beermonster on February 22, 2008, 07:06:34 AMquack sucks - i have it in mind to no longer upgrade - i'll stop at v7

We stopped at 6.52 for Mac and 4.0whatever for Windows. It hasn't cost
us a penny yet, and has probably saved us both time and money of late.

LoganBlade

stopped at 6.5 no plans for 7 8 or 9. bought quark to indesign plugin. works enough. hate quark now that i use indesign.

i am in history now as well right guys and gals????
"dyslexics have more fnu"

hotmetal

My home personal copy of Quark - which started off in 1991 as an educational copy of Q3 - will probably stop forever where it currently sits, 6.52

The only reason I went from 4 - 5 and then from 5 - 6 is because I beta tested 5 and 6 and Quark eventually sent me upgrade offers for beta testers making it so cheap I couldn't refuse.

Well, I didn't bother beta testing 7 and haven't gotten any discount offers so I say it's brussels sprouts and the hell with it.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

WharfRat

I can almost guarantee you that your "Picture Boxes" have "White" as a background color instead of "None".
Quark has "piece of shit" trapping rules built in.
You could go in and change the way the picture traps or just change the "Picture Box Background" to "None".
The same thing would happen in your RIP with a white background in a picture box.
The white box part of the picture box is trapping to the background rather than the picture itself trapping to the background.

MSD

Joe

Quote from: WharfRat on February 23, 2008, 11:28:22 AMI can almost guarantee you that your "Picture Boxes" have "White" as a background color instead of "None".
You could go in and change the way the picture traps or just change the "Picture Box Background" to "None".
The same thing would happen in your RIP with a white background in a picture box.
The white box part of the picture box is trapping to the background rather than the picture itself trapping to the background.

MSD

That's an interesting theory. I'd be interested to know if that is it. I don't believe my RIP would trap it that way though or I'd be seeing this a lot and I don't.

Laurens

I think you are all too hard on QuarkXPress.
As Buzz Aldrin said in a Simpsons episode: '2 comes right after 1'   :grin:
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

almaink

Quote from: WharfRat on February 23, 2008, 11:28:22 AMI can almost guarantee you that your "Picture Boxes" have "White" as a background color instead of "None".

Of course you are correct, the only problem is making the box white is the only way to get the effect she wants here. Using none or 0% of black melds the tif with the shadow because of the transparency applied to the tif above the shadow. And no trapping was applied, that white box is just out of position and also the wrong size. What should have happened when it was flattened is the white should have become part of the tif image not a separate piece. Another odd thing is the shadow that should have been an overprint became part of a piece of the background. Funny thing was although Pit Stop saw the tif a many pieces, Acrobat itself let me select it as one image and I was able to edit it in Photoshop thereby saving it as a Tif to be reassembled the correct way in Indy. Good thing to as it would have been a real pain trying to select all those separate pieces.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers