...and so it begins...

Started by DigiCorn, April 26, 2013, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

I've got Quark 9. No real problems with PDFs that I generate myself from it, but sometimes supplied PDFs are funky.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Same. I do find that I have to make sure the PDF has Native Transparency checked On (or whatever it's called in Q) or things get weird but other than that, nothing too horrible lately. Mind you, we get very few of them anyway, hopefully it'll just die out eventually.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on April 26, 2013, 11:32:57 PMQ2ID, perhaps? OK, there's pic box wraparound/drop shadow stuff. A few other things. But give me walking carefully with a Q2ID'd file any day to actually opening it in Never Never Land.
Not as though it's expensive, on the scale of things.

isn't quark cheaper than q2id?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Slappy

In the short run, maybe. But after you factor in lost time, bad plates or jobs that have to be re-run because of a shitty Q PDF I'd say cut to the chase & convert. That's only if you're really have serious issues, of course.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Ok... I am not having trouble getting a properly created .pdf out of the q (using FontWizardXT), but it's taking all of my spot colors and defining them using Lab values. Rampage DOES NOT LIKE Lab values, and basically my color build in CMYK is the inverse of what I need.  :wtf:

I went through the preferences; is there a way to change this?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Welcome to Pantone Plus...the wave of the future.

There was a link around here somewhere that you could download the legacy Pantone libraries for CS6. Not sure if they would work for Quark. Search the forum for Pantone Plus.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I would think even if it is Pantone Plus, you could edit the color in Quark and "detach" the color from that library definition by choosing CMYK as the model (but still keep Spot Color checked).
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

I can make .eps and .pdf from the q 9 in a variety of different ways (direct from the q 9, through FW XT and taking the .eps and distilling it), and I get a different sep value each way. And none of them match the previous from q 6.5

For example, Pantone 139 can RIP with 0 cyan, 5 cyan, 16 cyan and as high as 23 cyan depending on the method ripped... all letting Rampage convert to process.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Font Wizard XT is a recommended XT by Rampage. They used to recommend using "Device N" as the preferred color output, but it has since been removed. Using "As-is," for the color does not work. Also, I've discovered that you have to use Duotone .eps and NOT multichannel DCS. Looks like the direct output to .pdf from the q 9 and NOT using Font Wizard XT is the way to go. Still struggling to get proper color, however, as Pantone + and Lab along with Rampage is screwing up the works.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on April 29, 2013, 01:37:16 PMWelcome to Pantone Plus...the wave of the future.

There was a link around here somewhere that you could download the legacy Pantone libraries for CS6. Not sure if they would work for Quark. Search the forum for Pantone Plus.
I got 'em from here, although I don't think it'll resolve his issue.

I know Lammy ran into this recently, and I think setting it to output the color As Is resolved the problem, might have been on a different RIP though.

DigiCorn

In the q, Pantone + is separate from the standard Pantone definitions. I've found through experimentation that to match my previous q6 project, I need to export a pdf from the q, not using FW XT, and I need to select "cmyk and spot" for color. Technically it's not the proper way because the separation builds on the spot convert differently from the official Pantone™ color bridge definitions, but it's the way I need to do it to match the previous run separations. Depending on how you write your files, you can get 4 or more different values on the same converted spot color from the same file.

CS6 does the same thing. I understand why they use Lab colors, but it makes matching previous printing a bitch in 4-color.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 30, 2013, 10:08:53 AMIn the q, Pantone + is separate from the standard Pantone definitions. I've found through experimentation that to match my previous q6 project, I need to export a pdf from the q, not using FW XT, and I need to select "cmyk and spot" for color. Technically it's not the proper way because the separation builds on the spot convert differently from the official Pantone™ color bridge definitions, but it's the way I need to do it to match the previous run separations. Depending on how you write your files, you can get 4 or more different values on the same converted spot color from the same file.

CS6 does the same thing. I understand why they use Lab colors, but it makes matching previous printing a bitch in 4-color.
Dig - there is a work-around for Illy CS6 & InDesign CS6 so you can use the "classic" CMYK-based libraries - in this thread:
https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=7313.msg217902#msg217902
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigiCorn

I really fucking hate the q.

Yesterday I spent 7 hours running tests and exporting and RIPping files. Today, I'm back to square one, as none of the :fail safes," are working. The q just does whatever the hell it wants with color, and it's inconsistent and unclear as how to remain predictable.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

So it sucks?

I know a long time q user (Refuses To Change) who likes that you can make color corx in quark.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

OK... I'm about to lose my friggin' mind here. Yesterday, I exported out pdfs, and when RIPped in Rampage, depending on how the pdf was generated, I got 4 different builds for Pantone 139. I finally thought I had it dialed in, and got an exact match to my previous printing build from 2 years ago. Now today, no matter what I do, or no matter how I write the pdf, I get the same result, which is NOT what I want.  :wtf:, q 9? I'm exporting it out the same way as yesterday when I got the desired results, and I haven't touched the q since then, nor have I changed or altered ANY settings at all.  :wtf:?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway