Illustrator colorspace weirdness...

Started by delooch, March 27, 2008, 01:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

Running illyCS2 on winXP..

had a reprint of a brochure we ran last year.. opened the .ai file, all the colors seem to be "washed out" in the images, and the blacks are eneding up with a green tint when they go through the RIP. the blacks are 100%k in the file.. If i select all, copy and paste into a new document, everything is OK again..

i dont mess with my color settings at all, (us prepress defaults) i usually convert it in the PDF depending if its getting outsourced or if it stays in-house.

any idea whats going on??

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

Every now and then ill get one of these. sometimes its recent jobs, usually its older ones.  Pasting into a new document always fixes it..  Im just trying to figure out what is causing it.  I can recognize it when it happens, but im afraid others who are accessing those files wont see it and go with them 'as-is'..

DigitalCrapShoveler

Is the color space changing from CMYK to RGB in the Document Color Mode? is your default color management the same? Do you think these older jobs had different settings when originally done, like built in CS1 then opened in CS2?
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

the document color mode is staying in CMYK, color management hasnt changed.  some of these files were built in v10, thats the only thing i could blame it on. but its not all of the old v10 files its happening to.

almaink

"some of these files were built in v10, thats the only thing i could blame it on."

Like Winblows can't be the culprit?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DigitalCrapShoveler

Is this inherant on every PC box, or just yours? Sorry for all the questions.
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

ive only tried it on mine so far. im going to see if it does the same thing on my laptop tomorrow.  the other pc here is still running v10, i havent checked that one yet.

shit id blame it on windows if i could come up with an explanation.  Im usually trouble-free on my PC, I really try to bite my tounge when you mac guys get started.. but ill cuss it out with you if its legit..

the only thing my pc does that drives me up the wall is truncate long filenames when saving on a network drive.. that is simply retarded.  has something to do with Novell, but neither I or my "tech" guys can figure it out. Their answer for everything is "wipe the hard drive, re-install" - jackasses..

DigitalCrapShoveler

Not a big PC fan here, but they have their uses. Whatever, not the point... If you can localize the problem to one machine, that is a good start. If it happens on all of them, you might have a bigger problem. Try that out tomorrow, and let's see what happens.
Member #285 - Civilian

Pointyhat

delooch

ha. the problem once again lies between the chair and the keyboard. it was a colorspace issue, i just wasnt paying close enough attention.  they were all old illy10 files that i had 'taken home' to work on at one time or another. anything done on my laptop had a different color space..

thanks for the help guys. just had to sleep on it.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Cool Delooch, I am glad you got it worked out.
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

so while on the subject, is there metadata in .ai files that one can view to see which version created it? I can drag a .ai file into acrobat, then view properties.. the description tab will tell you the app and the pdf creator. is there another way to view this?  the only thing obvious to me that made it an illy 10 file was by the default swatch panel.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I usually open files I am unsure about, even the UNIX executibles that have the file and creator stripped, in text edit, or Word, and read the first few lines, tag info. This tells me exactly what version and app used. Works with just about every file I have thrown at it.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

yeah i drop the files onto text edit as above - it usually fesses up what created it
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world