News:

Main Menu

Scale job

Started by frailer, October 21, 2008, 09:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Supplied in Q. All support files. Square proportioned pages, but specs have changed since GD did it. Page now measures 10mm smaller both ways.
Job not prepress'd yet.

Would you guys:
-scale on Print from Quark
-scale in the impo app.
-Scale the Distilled PDFs of the .ps's.?

My thoughts, if I were to do it, which I'm not, would be to do a Global Change on the single PDF pages. This has worked well before.
Would like your input for future reference.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

LoganBlade

quick way take the PDf then insert into indesign fit to desired size export new pdf.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

beermonster

Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

If you are imposing PDF's I'd scale it in the impo app. But just because I wanted to be different than the others. :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

Tim

Our workflow necessitates that we proof our RIP'd pages before the imposition step and PitStop is my tool of choice. Do a global scale, save and move on...badaboom!

beermonster

David

what beer said...

all three times...

we, depending on the project, will either scale on output, scale on input, or scale in the impose file.
whichever gives us the "best" file (depending on the scale factor and what happens to the bleeds and images).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

jimking

The Stevinator

Sweet jesus monkey balls.  I don't think there have been this many prepress people agreeing on something.....ever.

Wait are those 4 horsemen I see off in the distance?... :machinegun:
SJM

beermonster

what stevinator said

and bugger off copying my "what <insert name here> said" action u guys - it's mine and i aint sharing.

hotmetal

I'd put the Quark pdf in MSWord and email it to the client for alts.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

On subject, but more some words of advice rather than a solution.

As with the Capitan 's problemo, there are several reasons why a page or file might need to be scaled. The most common is bleed issues. If you are supplied PDFs, you could use an add bleed action list in Pitstop, or place the file in InDesign or whatever and scale it that way. The problem I see WAYYYY too many times, is when the Desinger pays no attention to not only the bleed, but the "live" area. The area inside a virtual border usually 1/8th of an inch inside the trim. Page numbers, art, folios... scaling a page with this problem just creates more problems when art or text are outside the live area. They are gonna get hacked in the bindery, too much variance. When this occurs, and I get the usual..."Customer is out of town" crap, I take the PDF and place it on a page with the same trim size, then scale it inside the live area, leaving an 1/8th inch white border. I have NEVER had a complaint, and if the customer don't like it, they have the option to fix it... but usually they say nothing. Quick fix that draws the pimple to a head in regards to customer interaction. They can't argue with it, and it kills them. Hahahahaha :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

yeah what dcs said

huh - english humour eh - i dont get it either :tongue:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: beermonster on October 23, 2008, 08:44:33 AMyeah what dcs said

huh - english humour eh - i dont get it either :tongue:

Hahahaha, I consider myself partly bilingual: UK English, and USA English. Not nearly as proficient as you guys, but I'm getting there.... Now, if I could only stop laughing. Twat... Hahahahahaha.
Member #285 - Civilian