xx
Working with Font Explorer
by DigiCorn
October 17, 2017, 12:25:43 PM

xx
PrintIQ MIS Software
by DigiCorn
October 17, 2017, 12:24:20 PM

Topic: Working with Font Explorer (Read 29339 times) previous topic - next topic

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Re: Working with Font Explorer
Reply #165
Reviving an old thread. I think the free version of Font Explorer is about done. We are on Mac OS Sierra now and while it runs when you open fonts now...after a reboot they are no longer open and our designers have to go back and open them again. It's like living in a third world country for them. Anyone else seen this problem and have a fix? Or a better free font program. (Suggestions to buy the new version of Font Explorer will be met with laughter)

Yep, same deal here, was going to start a new topic but found one. I will continue ready this post because God-forbid we have to pay for something here.

I did find the fix for this. Open System Preferences ===> Users & Groups =====>  Login Items. Then drag the file "/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Linotype/FontExplorer X/FontExplorerXAutoload" into the "These items will open automatically when you log in" box.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #166
So that's not FEX related then I am guessing.

Reply #167
Reviving an old thread. I think the free version of Font Explorer is about done. We are on Mac OS Sierra now and while it runs when you open fonts now...after a reboot they are no longer open and our designers have to go back and open them again. It's like living in a third world country for them. Anyone else seen this problem and have a fix? Or a better free font program. (Suggestions to buy the new version of Font Explorer will be met with laughter)

Yep, same deal here, was going to start a new topic but found one. I will continue ready this post because God-forbid we have to pay for something here.

I did find the fix for this. Open System Preferences ===> Users & Groups =====>  Login Items. Then drag the file "/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Linotype/FontExplorer X/FontExplorerXAutoload" into the "These items will open automatically when you log in" box.

Yes, thanks that solved THAT problem.

• Ear
  • [*][*][*]
  • Fiya wata
Reply #168
Deeeecent
Quote: Skryber  "FreeHand sucks ferocious porcupine balls!"

Quote from: born2print "Well now doesn't that suck petrified possum penis."

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #169
So that's not FEX related then I am guessing.

Well it wasn't a FEX problem with the version prior to InDesign 2017 and since FEX hasn't been updated in years I am blaming Adobe. My guess is Adobe would disagree with me.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #170
Just an FYI if anyone is considering updating their Mac to Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra. When you launch the old FREE version of Linotype Font Explorer you get this error message. If you click "Continue" you get the error message again. Click "Continue" again and after that it appears to be working normally but I can't guarantee it.

Reply #171
Everybody got their 1.2.3 update? Come on, 1,2,3..hop to it!

:woohoo:

I am on V.1.2.3 circa 2008. Is that funny?
 :drunk3:

Reply #172
Just an FYI if anyone is considering updating their Mac to Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra. When you launch the old FREE version of Linotype Font Explorer you get this error message. If you click "Continue" you get the error message again. Click "Continue" again and after that it appears to be working normally but I can't guarantee it.

There's a pay for version? I've been using the free one for the last 11 years.

I have noticed that bug warning sometimes when restarting. Goes away after 1-3 times... I thought it was actually doing something useful. So it's a bug that's that's informing you that it's detected a bug. Brilliant.

Reply #173
Oh yes I do see the "pay" version online.

May have to get it when V1.2.3 is not working any more. I mean like it's not getting updates and all.

• frailer
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sydney, OZ.
Reply #174
...you left one bit out.
 am blaming Adobe. My guess is Adobe would disagree with me.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

• DigiCorn
  • [*][*][*]
  • A legend in my own mind
Reply #175
We don't use ANY font management software anymore. Just the InDesign/Fonts folder. If we need something for Illy or PS, we temp drop it into the Users/Library/Fonts and then delete it when we're done.
Peon/Cog

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria."
― Benjamin Franklin

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway