quark won't see my ppd after a it had a meltdown

Started by peace flaps, November 26, 2009, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peace flaps

a few weeks ago my mac went big time tits up. since then, quark xpress (8!) won't print to my rip/image setter.
when i look in the ppd manager nothing shopws up for it (although the standard 4,000,000 others do).
the ppd is for an AGFA Avantra.

has this type of thing happened to anyone else in the past?
help much appreciated.

(and before anyone says it, i DO use indesign these days but there are a shedload of jobs that are quark files and would be too time consuming to convert to indd)

thanks in advance :)

beermonster

hi peace

well several things may have happened during defcon one with thermo nuclear meltdown

there could be a system wide structure failure - you could try ensuring all updates are installed - including quack - then again if you've had meltdown it might need a full system reinstall and again - all updates to latest version

i'm hoping you had a back up/copy of original ppd/drivers - use that and reinstall as "printer" in print manager

re-point quack at ppd
repair permissions/run disk doctor/warrior etc
run crackerjack (this is probably a very good place to start actually)
check all cabling is connected

reinstall quack (good luck)

industrial level solutions/ideas? you bet - it is quack after all

the clever people will be round soon to solve your problems - i'm just guessing

err - peace-peace :azn:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Chilbear

One of the tricks I used in the old days (Quark 6) was to not use the default install locations as the source of my PPDs for Quack to use. I created a folder on the top level of my HD and copied the needed PPDs after Quark finished installing itself. I then topped up this list (and deleted those not used) with extra PPDs that were not savy to where Quark "preferred" to locate it's PPDs.  I used (in Quark 6 remember) Utilities>PPD Manager and then checked "Use Auxiliary Folder" on the new folder I made that had all my current PPDs (I called it OS X PPDs since at that time I had a G4 and was dual booting). Not sure if Quark 8 has this option as I and all my clients have left Quark behind.

Hope this gives you an idea that may help.