ASCII or binary eps files

Started by quarkuser, June 16, 2010, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quarkuser

The images used are 8 bit in CMYK. Not sure if composite or DCS. How do I find out? By the way, no problems in printing if just plain text is on the page.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Your flatness is set a little high for me on your paths, but if anything, that wouldn't be the problem.

If the files were DCS, you would have a composite preview and 4 support files with the high rez data for each sep. Probably not that either.

Do you have transfer function or halftone screen clicked on? How about extra channels or JPEG encoding turned on?

The easiest thing for you to do so we can diagnose the actual problem is to physically post the PS error as it reads when it errors out. Make a screen capture or copy and paste it... whatever. If  you can do that, I can tell you where the problem is originating.
Member #285 - Civilian

mwc

you can have a single file DCS file (DCS 2.0)

anyhow,

Test.
Open a image in photoshop, check to make sure they are 8-bit (Image-->Mode)
it resave it at EPS only,
make a new quark page and print that.

also, try the same, but save it as a TIFF.

just trying to nail down the problem spot here....

Joe

When you print from Quark to the HP 5000 check the box in the print dialog box for "Postscript Error Handler". When it errors it should kick out a page with the actual postscript error on it.

As I mentioned earlier. Quark has always given me problems when printing to my HP LaserJets that were not set up as AppleTalk printers. It would do the exact same thing you are experiencing. Unfortunately there is no AppleTalk on Snow Leopard so as a test, if you have a Mac running Leopard or Tiger, print the Quark job from there to the HP 5000 set up as an AppletTalk printer and I'm betting it will print fine to it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

quarkuser

When i said jibberish I meant jibberish. No sentences or phrases are on these blank pages. The last printout I received had at the top of the page 7 rows of black diamonds, hearts, spades, clubs. Next row were the black squares along with a superscript 2. Next rows had a bunch of 2s, Ns and the square root sign. I've even had printouts of lines of random characters going vertically instead of horizontally. And these blank pages won't stop printing unless i cancel the jobs.

Our image library is so big. We use images from other vendors also for our ads (sports retail). I have run into some files were the transfer function and halftone screen were clicked on. I know we also have other files where none of the boxes are clicked on.

When these pages print out or don't print out, I do not get any messages on screen saying what type of error it is. The OKI has displayed postscript error on its display window.

Joe

Again...

When you print from Quark to the HP 5000 check the box in the print dialog box for "Postscript Error Handler". When it errors it should kick out a page with the actual postscript error on it.

quarkuser

Sorry, didn't see your reply. Was typing same time when yours showed up.  Clicked on postscript error handler. Printed a page with error message saying: PostScript Level 3 output to a PostScript Level 2 device. The PostScript level chosen in the advanced tab is greater than the PostScript level of its printer. Printed the page again, adjusting it Level 2. The page came out!  I will experiment for now with other files and hopefully will work on HP printer. I've had experience with random successes with some files and not others. Thanks for input!

Joe

Oh yeah, the 5000 is a PS Level 2 device.  :laugh: Glad you got it that far.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, that will definitely do it. Check your Quark 5 and 6 settings, I bet they're the same way. You are trying to send superior PS data to a backward printer.
Member #285 - Civilian

quarkuser

Tried the same trick on the Oki. No luck. At least one printer solved for now.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Probably a PS level 1. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

mattbeals

Does the job print when using ASCII EPS files?

I'm not sure how Quark 8 handles this, but TIFF's can have clipping paths. But if you're going to go to all the trouble of making TIFF's of the EPS's and relinking them then I would just make a PDF and print from Acrob at....
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

quarkuser

I have received an email from Quark customer service after I complained to them about this issue. They said that this is a discrepancy in their software and that their engineering team is working on it. Printing works fine on some brands such as Lexmark and Xerox. They told me the best way to print is to make a postscript file which is what I have been doing for the Oki.

andyfest

Quark has a customer service dept???!! I thought they were all beancounters there nickel & diming us to death!
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on June 23, 2010, 10:54:43 AMQuark has a customer service dept???!! I thought they were all beancounters there nickel & diming us to death!