Fix in PSP vs. reExporting

Started by frailer, November 01, 2011, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Anyone feel strongly about this? Am I a grumpy old man with a silly bee in bonnet?
Ad comes in Quack 7.2. Wrong size but proportionally OK. Shows some phantom trim marks, but all page boxes = media (outer), box.
My method:
->Design Layout Panel... snap to detected trims. I happened to have a preset for that size to rectify page boxes.
->EAL... Add Trim Marks.
->GC... Scale to Format.
Ad now OK for XMF.

Compadre's method:
-Place in InDes > resize>reExport.

Are there extra risks in Placing>reExporting?  I'll kill the bee if not.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

I prefer doing it it in Pitstop. If it was an Indy PDF I would not hesitate to put it into Indy if the need arose. But I'd rather not put a Quark PDF into Indy and make a new one. Who knows what could happen to that?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

My thinking on it too. Toyed with the idea of explaining why, and how to do it. But thought, no...   :deadhorse:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DCurry

I prefer to fix things "at the source" when possible, rather than refrying. Since the source in this case is the PDF, that's where I'd address it.

As far as placing a Quark PDF in ID, that is far safer than placing an ID PDF into Quark.

Another option I'd consider would be to let the RIP do the scaling. Might not be a good solution in all circumstances, but it would probably be the safest.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Yep, we can rescale in XMF. Problem is this one will repeat, say, 6~7 times. I'd prefer to throw a fixed one in. TBH, haven't played much with scaling etc within XMF. May give that a test shot tomorrow.

David

I'm with you Frailer, fix the source, it's just easier in the long run.
Bonus, you have a corrected file if you need it for reprints, which is exactly what you'll be needing.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

QuoteI personally do not consider *exporting* a PDF to be "refrying". I think of refrying as going to *PostScript + redistilling*. Exporting a PDF of a placed PDF from InDesign is not in the same class, even more so if one is using a PDF version format that does not flatten.

The above was a post from over at the PP forums and LeonardR from Adobe gave it his blessing that it is indeed not "refrying".

Also agree that it's much safer to place a Quark PDF into Indy than the other way around but I've seen some strange stuff occasionally. I still do it but I check the end result very carefully.

As far as scaling....it can be done in the RIP, in Indy, or with Pitstop.

David

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2011, 09:30:53 AM
QuoteI personally do not consider *exporting* a PDF to be "refrying". I think of refrying as going to *PostScript + redistilling*. Exporting a PDF of a placed PDF from InDesign is not in the same class, even more so if one is using a PDF version format that does not flatten.

The above was a post from over at the PP forums and LeonardR from Adobe gave it his blessing that it is indeed not "refrying".

Also agree that it's much safer to place a Quark PDF into Indy than the other way around but I've seen some strange stuff occasionally. I still do it but I check the end result very carefully.

Leonard actually said that?  OMG...  I think the world has stopped spinning
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on November 02, 2011, 10:19:21 AM
Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2011, 09:30:53 AM

Leonard actually said that?  OMG...  I think the world has stopped spinning

No, he didn't say it but he agreed with it.

David

close enough, and by the way, ILLUSTRATOR IS NOT A PDF EDITOR!!!, in case you didn't know.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on November 02, 2011, 11:01:39 AMclose enough, and by the way, ILLUSTRATOR IS NOT A PDF EDITOR!!!, in case you didn't know.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

my boss disagrees quite often with this, he insists that if it was a pdf created originally in illy, it's an illy file. I've proved him wrong several times but you can't change the dude's mind. Hell, he even just refines the damn illy file directly if that's what he's got without even saving it as a pdf. Thinks they're the same thing.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

According to the Adobe engineers it is okay to edit a PDF in Illustrator that was created in Illustrator as long as it was saved with the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2011, 12:01:17 PMAccording to the Adobe engineers it is okay to edit a PDF in Illustrator that was created in Illustrator as long as it was saved with the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option.
I will sometimes open a pdf in Illy to extract and save out a logo or other vector art. Just this morning I used it to extract a header from an archived file to replace a header that was a placed jpg in another pdf file. I did have to change the color and the year to match the jpg, but I used Pitstop for that. For some reason, though, Pitstop would not let me copy and replace the header in the normal fashion. It had a raster drop shadow that kept getting screwed up, but once I took into Illy and resaved as a new pdf, it worked.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2011, 12:01:17 PMAccording to the Adobe engineers it is okay to edit a PDF in Illustrator that was created in Illustrator as long as it was saved with the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option.

Sure. How do you know that it has preserve editing on? I've had stuff like different layers be active than what viewed in the pdf.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on November 02, 2011, 12:48:23 PM

Sure. How do you know that it has preserve editing on? I've had stuff like different layers be active than what viewed in the pdf.

Well, you don't unless you created it. Call the person that created it? :laugh: