Aussie IP address bounce-back

Started by frailer, June 16, 2012, 05:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Mate here wants to access US web-sites, so he can look at purchasing stuff, and shipping via myUSdotcom. On some sites, like Fender (USA) he gets re-directed to the Aussie sibling/underling/agent.
What's the workaround for this? Proxy server? Use Open DNS?
Would appreciate thoughts to pass back on.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 16, 2012, 05:59:02 PMMate here wants to access US web-sites, so he can look at purchasing stuff, and shipping via myUSdotcom. On some sites, like Fender (USA) he gets re-directed to the Aussie sibling/underling/agent.
What's the workaround for this? Proxy server? Use Open DNS?
Would appreciate thoughts to pass back on.

It's checking the location via your IP address and redirecting accordingly. He could try a US based proxy server but it could possibly kill his chances of making a transaction from a US based website. But it might work. You never know until you try.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Seems the Fender site is one of the few who do this annoying re-direction. I myself switched away from OpenDNS, as it seems that outside the USA, it may slow you down a bit; though their security/filtering is good. If I were to set it back I'd have to do a browser cached clear, and some other stuff. Maybe tomorrow.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 17, 2012, 04:53:12 AMSeems the Fender site is one of the few who do this annoying re-direction. I myself switched away from OpenDNS, as it seems that outside the USA, it may slow you down a bit; though their security/filtering is good. If I were to set it back I'd have to do a browser cached clear, and some other stuff. Maybe tomorrow.

I don't think that just changing your DNS will do it. It's not based on your DNS IP address but the IP address that your ISP gives you.

frailer

Interesting. Must have another look at that stuff. I thought, wrongly, that your IP address may become opaque if you chose a specific DNS server.
I've alerted said mate to your thoughts.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 17, 2012, 03:12:43 PMInteresting. Must have another look at that stuff. I thought, wrongly, that your IP address may become opaque if you chose a specific DNS server.
I've alerted said mate to your thoughts.

Nope, that would be using a proxy server.