Can't send to Fiery RIP on Macs

Started by Slappy, October 17, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

OK. Just trying to troubleshoot whether the Fiery was on the network, or whether you were having ethernet issues on your Mac. I wanted to make sure that the Mac could "see" the fiery at its current location.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Well, nothing works at this point. i saw a post referring to an Apple Update for 10.6.8 that fixed some of these issues. Applied that & still nothing.

I then ran the script I mentioned earlier that replaced the bad CUPS files with a set from 10.5 that were supposed to correct it. Didn't.

Finally there was an "official" fix from Fiery that involved opening the PPD in TextEdit & adding a line to correct the issue. Still no works.

Kind of shit out of ideas, guess we'll rely on the Shared Printer from the one Mac that still ses it for now. That is, until we have to update that Mac to 10.6.8 then I guess the printer's a boat anchor!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Are you running Command Workstation to the Fiery RIP? If so you should be able to use Command Workstation and upload a PDF directly to it. That is the way our people have to do it on OS X 10.7.5 since they can't print to the Appletalk print queues.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

We do have that installed on the Macs, I'm not sure I know how to push a PDF directly nor do i want to have to Export every single doc from every app to a PDF jus to print. This is a fucking joke, there are about half a dozen "fixes" posted all over the place and not one has corrected the issue here.

Fuck it, I'll run all of my shit to the Xante.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Send your Thank You card to Apple for getting rid of the Apple Talk option.

They are presently not on my top 1,000,000 list of favorite companies to deal with.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on October 18, 2012, 01:12:59 PMWe do have that installed on the Macs, I'm not sure I know how to push a PDF directly nor do i want to have to Export every single doc from every app to a PDF jus to print. This is a fucking joke, there are about half a dozen "fixes" posted all over the place and not one has corrected the issue here.

Fuck it, I'll run all of my shit to the Xante.
On the Fiery where CWS is running, go to file-->import-->job and browse on the network to the file.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Greg_Firestone

What if you share the printer on your Mac with 10.4.11 (or any older Mac that supports appletalk) and print through it on your 10.6.8 machine?

Greg

Slappy

Ah, ok. I'll be sure to try that - when the POS DC260 is repaired. It threw some kind of fault error code & is down until the techs come back out. They were just here a day or 2 ago, and apparently didn't fix it.   :death:

Slappy

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on October 18, 2012, 02:32:43 PMWhat if you share the printer on your Mac with 10.4.11 (or any older Mac that supports appletalk) and print through it on your 10.6.8 machine?
Yup, that's our current workaround but at some point that Mac will have to be updated to 10.6.8 also.

Joe

You may want to look into setting up new print queues. They can be both Appletak and either IP or Bonjour which will allow you to print from 10.6.8. We can do that from our 10.7.5 Macs but our operators prefer the file import option from CWS. First they were whining about not being able to print so I finally set them up without Appletalk and then they decided they like importing better than printing. Can't win in the IT world.

Slappy

Hrm, when we see our tech I'll bounce that off of him - there's gotta be a fix by now, as long as 10.6 has been out. Thanks Joe!

Joe

Is that the DC260 with the "built-in Fiery controller" or the one with the "EFI Fiery RIP"?

Either way they both show drivers specifically for Mac OS X 10.6 on their download page.

DocuColor 242/252/260 with built-in Fiery controller Support & Drivers

or

DocuColor 242/252/260 with EFI Fiery EXP260 Support & Drivers

Joe

I had a look at our printer list from a Mac OS X 10.5.x Mac and a Mac OS X 10.7.x Mac. The first attachment is the 10.5.x Mac and the second is the 10.7.x Mac. The ones with the arrows pointed at them are all the same device. They had just setup 3 different Appletalk queues while the Bonjour just has one queue. On thing our operators liked about the Appletalk queues is they would print to the "Hold" queue and then they could go into CWS and make changes to the settings where the Bonjour queue goes directly to the printer and prints. Right or wrong it prints something so if it's not right they always waste a sheet of paper but once it is over in the CWS queue they can modify the settings from there.

Greg_Firestone

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2012, 03:52:41 PMWe can do that from our 10.7.5 Macs but our operators prefer the file import option from CWS. First they were whining about not being able to print so I finally set them up without Appletalk and then they decided they like importing better than printing.

Sending a PDF to the RIP is better than printing PS, especially if your RIP has native support for transparency. You could see better quality output, faster processing, etc. Not sure if CWS has an hotfolder option, that'd be even better.

Greg

Slappy

I think at this point, I need to nuke everything I've installed/modified/hacked in attempts to get it working. Once the tech is here & has the machine back up, I'll see if he has any real knowledge about the 10.6 Drivers Joe linked to, and ask about the Print Queues & Appletalk with IP vs. Bonjour. What a mess. Thanks all!