replace hard drive on Mac

Started by DigiCorn, September 26, 2013, 10:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Thank you for the heads up Joe!
Much appreciated!!
Good to know things to look out for (before it happens) :laugh:

David

Quote from: Slappy on November 15, 2013, 01:49:35 PMWon't the MacPro ship with 10.9 though? Pretty sure it's not going to like having an older OS shoved back onto it. And yeah, we'll have to keep the old Towers running to use Prinect also I'd guess. We're going to overhaul all of that to the latest & greatest before year's end too, so who knows which Mac OS it will support.

Fun times ahead, stay tuned.  :shoots_self:

yes it will, but I will have to reload 10.8.
we use a deal called Casper to image all the Macs to corporate specs, security, network proxies, etc.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 15, 2013, 02:23:44 PMThank you for the heads up Joe!
Much appreciated!!
Good to know things to look out for (before it happens) :laugh:

Get yourself a stack of expired credit cards too. You have to use a credit card and shove it up into the air vents on the back to release the latches to get the back off. I destroyed 3 credit cards trying to get the back off of my 2006 iMac before I finally got the latches to unlatch. Then forget about ever getting them to latch back correctly again. I had to put a strip of duct tape across the top back to get it to stay on after re-assembly. But hey it still works. :laugh: And be careful with the tiny camera and sound connectors at the top of the iMac above the display. They are very easily ripped right out if you aren't careful.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

I've heard that a thin paint spatula works great, it's metal so it doesn't break like the plastic cards.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on November 18, 2013, 08:12:18 AMI've heard that a thin paint spatula works great, it's metal so it doesn't break like the plastic cards.

It would most likely make it easier. Couldn't make it any more difficult.

Tracy

saw that on u-tube
I have some gift cards I can use on it.
probably should use em first :laugh:

Chilbear

we must be talking about different machines - on my I peeled back the front cover after taking out the screws (from the back) and never used plastic cards at all.

Joe

The white G5 iMac had 3 screws at the bottom you had to remove and then the back popped off to reveal everything. It was very easy. Then they released the 2006 White Intel CPU iMac that looked exactly like the G5 iMac. But the 2006 white iMac is like trying to break into Fort Knox. 3 screws at the bottom. Unlatch the latches in the air exhaust vents. Pull back the front cover. Carefully unhook the camera and microphone connectors. Remove the front cover. Peel back the aluminum tape around the edge of the monitor. Try not to tear it up. Good luck with that. Remove the 4 (or 6) display screws, make sure you have the magnetized Mac Torq screwdriver set or you'll lose the screws under the logic board. Not a good thing. Plus you'll have to have them to ever think about getting the screws back in. Unhook the display cable in two places from the logic board. Carefully lift the bottom of the display up and then unhook the remaining 4 connectors on the back of the display. Handle the display very carefully as it is easy to scratch. Now you can see the hard drive. Replace though if you are replacing with an SSD you will need the separate drive caddy to install it. Reverse the above to put it all back together. It is not all that hard after you do it a few times but still more of a PITA than it should be.

David

I could do it with two hands tied behind your back...

:drunk3:

:hangme:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

your right it takes 3 credit cards to get into the white iMac :laugh:

My husband helped me with the project, big fun!
me: maybe we should check it before we put the cover on.
him: nah

anyone got 3 extra credit cards? :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 10, 2014, 08:36:38 AMyour right it takes 3 credit cards to get into the white iMac :laugh:

My husband helped me with the project, big fun!
me: maybe we should check it before we put the cover on.
him: nah

anyone got 3 extra credit cards? :laugh:

Did I forget to mention to use old expired credit cards? :laugh:

Tracy

Yes! I made the S shaped card like in a video I watched
but the flat card worked better.

we must not of plugged something in all the way or something
Everything turned on ok, not seeing the hard drive tho.
try again tonite

when you reformat a hard drive do you select mac os journaled?

Joe

Tracy

I am now a pro at getting the back off the white iMac
I can do it with 1 credit card and not ruin it :laugh:

the trick is pointing the corner of the credit card to the corner of the computer and then straighten and slide it over

anyway, the hard drive I put in is reading that it is 2.6 TB when it's a 500GB
It won't let me format it, says input output error
I got the hard drive at fry's, I am now going to get it thru Mac Sales like joe suggested to begin with :rolleyes:

does the 2.6tb give any clues as to what is going on?

Farabomb

Sounds like the drive controller doesn't like the drive. Is it a SATA or IDE drive? SATA will have the drive cable and power close together and be about half the width of the drive. If it's a IDE the power should be a white molex 4 pin about .75 in and the data cable will be about 2.5 inches.

I'd check the jumpers if it's a IDE drive. it's possible it's set wrong and causing the drive to be misread.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job