Dumb Question -- any way to convert InDesign to Publisher...?

Started by Fontaholic, January 17, 2014, 08:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

Got a really stupid question (which I probably already know the answer to), but I'm gonna ask anyway...

Is there any way to convert an InDesign file to a Publisher file?

I mean, I know that Markzware has their Publisher-to-InDesign plug-in, but there isn't a reverse of that at all, is there?

I ask because we recently took on a new customer who designs a bi-monthly newsletter in Publisher, and I got so frustrated with trying to make edits and so forth in Publisher, that I just used the Publisher-to-InDesign plug-in and made all the edits/corrections in that.

Well, now the customer is asking if I can provide her with a Publisher file with all these changes / edits / corrections...  :banghead:

Any thoughts? (Other than me having to redo everything in Publisher, that is...)

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

StudioMonkey

You see, you try to be helpful - you pull and tweak the customer's files through all kinds of hoops, you work your daily miracles - and they expect bigger miracles next time. 

If you don't want to redo the whole thing in Publisher (and who would) you only have one option.  Tell her No.  It just isn't possible (unless she gets InDesign).
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

Quote from: StudioMonkey on January 17, 2014, 08:49:00 AMYou see, you try to be helpful - you pull and tweak the customer's files through all kinds of hoops, you work your daily miracles - and they expect bigger miracles next time. 

If you don't want to redo the whole thing in Publisher (and who would) you only have one option.  Tell her No.  It just isn't possible (unless she gets InDesign).

:goodpost:

I heartily endorse this opinion. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

this just in...
10 out of 10 prepress operators will agree...  or die

:jeep:
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Fontaholic on January 17, 2014, 08:10:42 AMHey everyone,

Got a really stupid question (which I probably already know the answer to), but I'm gonna ask anyway...

Is there any way to convert an InDesign file to a Publisher file?

I mean, I know that Markzware has their Publisher-to-InDesign plug-in, but there isn't a reverse of that at all, is there?

I ask because we recently took on a new customer who designs a bi-monthly newsletter in Publisher, and I got so frustrated with trying to make edits and so forth in Publisher, that I just used the Publisher-to-InDesign plug-in and made all the edits/corrections in that.

Well, now the customer is asking if I can provide her with a Publisher file with all these changes / edits / corrections...  :banghead:

Any thoughts? (Other than me having to redo everything in Publisher, that is...)

Isn't that like converting Dom Perignon to like........ ripple?

Fontaholic

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on January 17, 2014, 11:30:25 AMIsn't that like converting Dom Perignon to like........ ripple?

I was going to say store-brand grape soda, but yeah -- that analogy works too.   :tongue:

Antonotron

Hello to all,

I'm new here--but this thread just solved my dilemma of what my smart-ass signature would be!

(on a printed piece of paper in an old press scheduler's office):

"the problem with being efficient: once you display the ability to walk on water--every goddam son of a bitch will expect you to trot across the lake on an errand..."

(story of my life)
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken..." -Colonel Sanders

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

gnubler

Save it out as a low-res JPG, place in Pub, and say "here you go". :laugh:

Play dumb when she calls and says "something's wrong with the text, I can't type in it..."
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Quote from: Antonotron on January 17, 2014, 01:15:42 PMHello to all,

I'm new here--but this thread just solved my dilemma of what my smart-ass signature would be!

(on a printed piece of paper in an old press scheduler's office):

"the problem with being efficient: once you display the ability to walk on water--every goddam son of a bitch will expect you to trot across the lake on an errand..."

(story of my life)
Welcome to the machine Antonotron!
...and we do expect you to walk on water just like the rest of us... with a beer in your hand and a pub file in the other!
Cheers!
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

How are we getting new members when prepress is in a deadly, downward spiral? I thought every prepresser in the world had discovered b4p by now, and I don't think there's any new people blossoming into the print industry at this point in time.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Yay, we got 5 new members just this month!
Exciting times, I'm getting all goose pimply just thinking about it!

:drunk3:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

If that gets you so excited, just wait til I come to Dallas to visit you!