Adobe Cloud is on the Ground today....assholes...

Started by mwc, May 15, 2014, 12:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 21, 2014, 09:51:46 AMOK. Went to adobe.com to look into the upgrade more seriously, and now I'm totally %^&ing confused.

a) What version of CC do I need? The team license is $49.99 but an individual license is $29.99. I'm thinking we only need the individual...
b) It says you can run one license on two machines, so does that mean I can upgrade my CS6 on Mac and my 5.5 on Windows?

b) Yes, but not legally. You can install it on 2 computers as long as they are not both in use at the same time (per the license). The theory is that it is impossible for you to be in two places at once.

a) according to adobe the individual license is tied to an email address and credit card. If an employee of that company leaves there is nothing stopping them from changing the email address and payment option and taking that license with them. Therefore they recommend the team license for businesses and stick it to them at a higher price. They claim the higher price is because each user gets more tech support, more storage space on the cloud, and simpler administration of multiple users. But if you are upgrading don't pay that $49.99, The are running a last chance (until May 30) to get team at $39.99 and lock that price in for two years.

Last chance to lock in US$39.99/mo. for two years.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

The reality is that we're a 4 employee company. I'm honest, with enough moral ethics that I wouldn't take the license or change the email, blah blah blah. I use B4Print for support, but in almost 25 years of prepress, I have called Adobe for support maybe 3-4 times, and probably not since 1997.

Quote from: Joe on May 21, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on May 21, 2014, 09:51:46 AMb) It says you can run one license on two machines, so does that mean I can upgrade my CS6 on Mac and my 5.5 on Windows?

b) Yes, but not legally. You can install it on 2 computers as long as they are not both in use at the same time (per the license). The theory is that it is impossible for you to be in two places at once.

Just spoke with a "live help" person he says:
QuoteWith one use license you can install the software on two systems but you will not be able to use at the same time.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 21, 2014, 10:38:33 AMJust spoke with a "live help" person he says:
QuoteWith one use license you can install the software on two systems but you will not be able to use at the same time.

Well he is wrong. They will both work fine at the same time but you can't run them both at the same time and be legal.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 21, 2014, 10:38:33 AMThe reality is that we're a 4 employee company. I'm honest, with enough moral ethics that I wouldn't take the license or change the email, blah blah blah. I use B4Print for support, but in almost 25 years of prepress, I have called Adobe for support maybe 3-4 times, and probably not since 1997.

But you can if you decide later that you want to! :evil:

Possum

Forcing companies to tie each license to a particular person or buy the more expensive team license is just another way of milking customers. Schools have it tough on this point also. With all the trouble they've had with credit cards and payments, Adobe should be glad to tie the account to a business name and CC, not an individual. I'm not even talking about the hacking, the Adobe forums are full of people who can't get their payments to go through.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Having trouble updating 5.5 on my Windows 8 box. It downloads all the updates but can't seem to apply them. I clicked on the "help" box and the error code says invalid serial number, but I verified via the box and web that the serial number is correct and that the product is activated properly.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I'm sure Adobe would recommend upgrading to CC. :angry:

I've never had to enter a serial number though to apply updates. Did you download them via the Adobe Updates thing-a-ma-bob or did you go to their website and download them manually?

DigiCorn

Well, I'm 99% sure the problem is this: I am running 5.5 on a Windows 7 box, but am in the process of moving everything over to the W8 box, since right now it's just sitting there doing nothing. I'm more than willing to bet because it's active on W7, even though it installed and is active on the W8 box, Adobe won't let me apply the updates because it sees the first install.

The flashing icon in the lower right corner that says Adobe Application Manager keeps informing me of updates, so I'm attempting to apply them from there.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Try deactivating on the Win 7 box. You can have it installed and activated on 2 computers though. Is it also activated on another computer somewhere? Even if it was activated on an old hard drive that was replaced it still counts as one activation if you couldn't/didn't deactivate it before replacing the HD.

DigiCorn

somebody posted a link to manually update indesign cs6 and cc the other day, but damned if i can't find it. Joe, do you remember that, and can you point me to it?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

never mind. i manually updated all the apps from the adobe webpage.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

StudioMonkey

I'm not planning to go to CC and I'm pretty sure that nothing Adobe does can make me do it.  Why do we upgrade anything, I mean ever?  Because of the increased functionality and to stay compatible with our customer's files. 

Ok so the increased functionality argument has been wearing thin since CS4 - not much new has been added since then.

To stay compatible with your customer's files?  Ask them to supply PDFs.  This is standard practice anyway and it doesn't matter what version of InDesign they were created in.

Once I have upgraded to CS6 (and I'm a way off even seeing the point of even going that far), Adobe won't be getting any more money out of me.  If we all did that it would give Adobe something to think about.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Possum

I haven't gotten any CC files from print customers. Come to think of it, I don't get files from print customers. I've gotten a few CC Illustrator files from college kids for screen printing, but haven't had any trouble opening them yet. When I do, I'll ask for PDFs. Which means I'll get more JPEGs off the web saved as PDFs.  :hangme:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

andyfest

We've only had 2 Illy CC files sent to us since CC came out over a year ago, and they were in the past couple of months. We won't likely update until our key accounts update, and most have indicated that they won't be updating anytime soon. A lot of our clients have large graphics departments that will cost mega-$$$$$ to update to Abode's Rent-all software.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro