Barcode plug-in for Indesign

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, May 28, 2015, 09:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Quote from: Ear on May 28, 2015, 11:27:22 AMhttps://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/download.cfm

Can you tell me about how to determine what barcode and fonts to use?

Oh i just saw that you referred to AFP
any other info would be great tho!

I downloaded the AFP folder and they look funny
and don't load into font explorer

Ear

hmmm.... I don't use them too often, Tracy. I just loaded it directly into my User Fonts, in the library.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

GinsTonic

Quote from: mwc on May 28, 2015, 10:18:55 AMJust use a barcode font for the variable type box. Make sure you format the number properly (some formats need an "*" before and after the code (i.e. *123456789*)

In my experience it depends on the barcode standard required. Most of the jobs I did barcodes using the font "7 of 9". It worked fine, but I had a couple of tricky jobs where I needed to include full ASCII character set (including carriage returns and tabs). To do that I had to use a certain type of barcode (Interleave 2 of 5 type A I think), with no check digit etc. No font was able to do that so I ended up doing a free trial of some barcoding software, and then inserting them into my variable data file as variable images.

That being said, there probably is a decent plug in that would work better than a completely separate application. It would certainly be a more elegant solution...

Beware of thinking barcodes are simply fonts - I've wasted many an hour talking to my boss trying to help him understand that it's not necessarily so.

rickself

As a stand-alone barcode program, I have found Barcode Producer to be the absolute most robust of all. It saves in AI or eps format and actually is smart enough t save in Black (imagine that) not RGB. Also saves in tiff, pdf and PSD.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Tracy

Does it do variable data barcodes?
I see it's free

Farabomb

I just looked at it and it was $300 for a single licence.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

rickself

Quote from: Tracy on August 17, 2015, 04:22:28 PMDoes it do variable data barcodes?
I see it's free
I don't see anything about variable data. And they do have a demo but I'm not thinking this one is free.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Tracy

Thanks Ricky, gonna check it out when I'm slow :laugh:

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on August 17, 2015, 04:22:28 PMDoes it do variable data barcodes?
I see it's free

Quote from: Barcode ProducerAutomator batch generation creates barcodes from text files, spreadsheets, and numeric ranges (requires plug-in, sold separately)
Single license for the Plug-in is another $300, looks pretty slick from the screenshots at least.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway