News:

Main Menu

New laptop

Started by Farabomb, June 07, 2016, 08:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

So I convinced the boss to get me a new laptop. I can no longer remotely login through chrome so I can't do things remotely. I pitched getting me a laptop so I can do work remotely then just go through the prinergy server that I can still connect to.

The only thing that might cause issue is the licence for preps. I need to be able to create and modify templates but I only have it in the Mac. I'm thinking of getting a windows laptop, if I install preps on that will I have the ability to modify and create templates? I can then just place them in the templates folder when I log into the prinergy box.

Or is this all a bad idea? I can't upgrade the mac because of preps. Do they have a power PC emulator that runs in newer versions of OSX?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I know you can run Preps on Windows 7 as I've done it. Not sure about Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.

If you are still using Preps 5.x with a dongle you'll just have to move the dongle between your Mac and the laptop.

As far as I know there is no Rosetta emulator for later versions of OS X. You can use a VM but the performance will suck.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Oh yeah...the Preps 5.x interface really, really sucks on Windows.

Farabomb

That's where it's a problem, I don't have a dongle, it's controlled by the server.

I do have a question. What does the dongle look like? Blue? says iKey 1000?

Sucks or not, I'm running out of options.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 07, 2016, 08:43:59 AMThat's where it's a problem, I don't have a dongle, it's controlled by the server.

I do have a question. What does the dongle look like? Blue? says iKey 1000?

Sucks or not, I'm running out of options.

Oh...you can use the floating license but you'll have to be on the local network.

I know it is blue. I'll snap a photo when I get to work.

Farabomb

I think I may have found a preps dongle.  :D

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Joe, does this look like yours?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yes. Exactly like that.

Farabomb

Good, now I can go look at new laptops. The boss won't be happy he has to buy CC but it's inevitable.

Of course he'll insist you can buy it in a box and not subscription. I'll be getting links to dusty ebay listings of CS1 he'll offer as proof.

All because chrome won't update on old ass OSes and I can't remote in any longer.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Your job is tough, ask for everything that will make your job easier.
It's for the good of the company!!

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 08, 2016, 11:16:03 AMGood, now I can go look at new laptops. The boss won't be happy he has to buy CC but it's inevitable.

Of course he'll insist you can buy it in a box and not subscription. I'll be getting links to dusty ebay listings of CS1 he'll offer as proof.

All because chrome won't update on old ass OSes and I can't remote in any longer.

I would make sure that Preps 5 can run on Win 10 before you celebrate because that is probably what the laptop will have on it.

Farabomb

I'm looking at win & laptops for that exact reason.

Honestly, I may just not bother and then I can actually have a vacation where I can relax. I don't need to remote in. I set it up to help him out and it was just abused.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 08, 2016, 12:01:17 PMI'm looking at win & laptops for that exact reason.

Honestly, I may just not bother and then I can actually have a vacation where I can relax. I don't need to remote in. I set it up to help him out and it was just abused.

And then if he insists you need to remote in tell him you will need a new iMac, and new Mac laptop, and the Adobe CC subscription. And Preps 7. Let us know how long it takes for the sweat to pop out onto his forehead.

Farabomb

You forget the upgrade to prinergy to run all the new gear.

It won't happen and he'll insist since the older stuff works, it's fine.

While he goes out and buys a brand new iPhone and doesn't even know how to use it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I was saving that for later. I doubt he could handle all of it once. No sense causing a heart attack! :rotf: