Prinergy 7.5 - Is Scaling/Centering fixed?

Started by johnny_jay, August 05, 2016, 06:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny_jay

I see from another thread that several of you have upgraded to Prinergy 7.5. Has the functionality been fixed for scaling when centering pages?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

John
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

Yes as long as you also let it upgrade Preps to 7.5 too.

Now for the bad news...

A lot of our jobs now fail when we make a VPS or plate files. There is a new setting in the render section for Imposition Output and Final Output.

[attachimg=1 width=400]

We have to change the setting to "Ignore invalid font data errors (use with caution)" to get the files to go through. Below is Kodaks disclaimer about the caution:

[attachimg=2 width=400]

The other option is to determine which flat has the offending page(s) and then narrow it down to which page(s) and then narrow it down to which font(s). There is no known preflight to check for the problems at the refine stage either with the advance preflight or the new Preflight+ to catch these errors. In my own testing I've found one of the issues is if a font doesn't have a license for embedding or outlining. You can check for that with Preflight+ but unfortunately it does not find it in all fonts that do not have that license. The font license action in Pitstop will find those licensing issues. If you narrow it down to a font license issue you can outline that font with Pitstop and it will fix it. However it also happens with other fonts that have problems but are not caught in any preflight from Adobe, Callas Preflight+, or Enfocus. There are two shotgun approaches that do work. Change the setting to "Ignore invalid font data errors (use with caution)" permanently and risk the rendering issues or outline all fonts with Preflight+ during the refining stage. Anyway Kodak is blaming it on Adobe changing how strict it is with fonts in APPE 3.x and they say they are working on at least giving better error messages or coming up with a way to flag it during the refine stage. But not to get my hopes up it will come in this version of Prinergy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

johnny_jay

Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

David

It's in the rules...

section 456, sub paragraph 43

:hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Adriano

We upgraded to 7.5 but we were forced to revert to 7.1 because of the fonts issue and workshop in 7.5 was slower and bugsy. 1 every 5 jobs had the fonts problem. We work with a variety of client, some proper agencies and some cowboys. We couldn't afford the time spent in trying to detect the pages affected especially in school books with 300 pages. How did you find the transition? We are now in a bit of a situation not being sure if we can ever upgrade. Kodak is adamant about the legality of their move and I understand that, but how do you explain clients that they have from now on they have to use fonts "legally"? Just saying
Still not drinking. Never been better

Joe

It didn't take us long to get tired of tracking down font issues either. We just set all of our output process templates render settings like this. Haven't had an issue since.

I don't think it is a matter of fonts being legal or not. It is just that they are more picky about the internal structure of fonts. Mostly it is crappy freeware fonts and web fonts that it rejects.

As far as customers we've just been telling them that if they download free fonts from the internet there is a good chance they will have problems with their files and that if they must do it to outline them before they make their PDF.

I don't really see any issues with Workshop in 7.5. What kind of issues were you having with it?

DigiCorn

At my old work, we occasionally had to apply the fix Joe posted, but only in special circumstances because technically a font could go through wrong if that box is checked.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Adriano

Quote from: Joe on March 14, 2017, 05:23:29 PMIt didn't take us long to get tired of tracking down font issues either. We just set all of our output process templates render settings like this. Haven't had an issue since.

I don't think it is a matter of fonts being legal or not. It is just that they are more picky about the internal structure of fonts. Mostly it is crappy freeware fonts and web fonts that it rejects.

As far as customers we've just been telling them that if they download free fonts from the internet there is a good chance they will have problems with their files and that if they must do it to outline them before they make their PDF.

I don't really see any issues with Workshop in 7.5. What kind of issues were you having with it?
It is very flimsy with java workshop. I have to click out and click again to get to use the right click command (we have 3 machine with 3 operators, all having the same issue). Very slow importing the imposition jdf. We had issues with jobs just with Helvetica or Arial, no funny fonts. Did you ever see a font corruption happening after you tick that option?

Joe

We changed the setting in November of last year. We haven't had any kind of font issues since we changed that setting.

Yeah I do see some of that right click not working properly sometimes. It is par for the course with Kodak with each new release. They will fix it eventually and break 5 other things when they do. :rotf:

Haven't really noticed it being slow importing impositions though. But we only import .job file impositions.

Also haven't seen any issues with Helvetica or Arial so not sure what is up with that.

Did you try 7.5 or 7.5.1? We are still on 7.5. Kodak has made me gun shy with upgrades recently. We are only on 7.5 because we couldn't get Insite 8.0 without upgrading to 7.5. Kodak hates me with all of the bitching and complaining I have done over Prinergy 7.5 and Insite 8.0. :death:

I'll bet they don't ask me to beta test anything ever again. :rotf:

Adriano

I don't actually know if it was 7.5 or 7.5.1. Removed after a week. Kodak not happy either with us. Apparently we are the only one having problems. Ehehehe. Australian Kodak not very happy camper anyway. Failed with Sonora plates big times. Disaster strike. Thank you for your feedback. You are a star. Have a good one

Joe

Quote from: Adriano on March 14, 2017, 07:23:14 PMI don't actually know if it was 7.5 or 7.5.1. Removed after a week. Kodak not happy either with us. Apparently we are the only one having problems. Ehehehe. Australian Kodak not very happy camper anyway. Failed with Sonora plates big times. Disaster strike. Thank you for your feedback. You are a star. Have a good one

HAHA...Kodak told me no one else has problems too! They are LIARS!!!

Adriano

born2print

FWIW, We are running 7.5 and we only change that render setting as needed, and it is relatively rare, maybe twice a month.
#lucky I guess
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Joe

Quote from: born2print on March 15, 2017, 02:22:03 PMFWIW, We are running 7.5 and we only change that render setting as needed, and it is relatively rare, maybe twice a month.
#lucky I guess

We were getting the errors on almost every job that came through. And on multiple pages on multiple flats. It was a nightmare to try to track them all down. Once you find out which page the problem font is on then you have to find which font on the page was causing it. And it seems most people that send us stuff think they are creating ransom notes.

:facepalm:

born2print

Wow, lucky for sure then, must just be different clients.
No, I do not wanna trade!
 :tongue:
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere