"Grant Access" in Excel 2016

Started by DigiCorn, February 08, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

At my new job, we are doing a lot of variable data for mailing using the merge features of Publisher and InDesign. Yuck, I know. When we launch our Excel files, we get this button that we have to press that says, "Grant Access," and when we do, it denies it anyway and we an't get in. On Sierra for Mac. No such issues on the Windows side. Any ideas how to disable this feature?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Is this message from Mac OS Sierra, Excel, or InDesign? Does it ask for an admin account password.

Are your Mac Security & Privacy settings set to 'Allow apps downloaded from:'

set to:

'App Store and identified developers'?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

The message is from Excel. It apparently needs a "secure" folder. I found a temporary workaround; copy the file into User/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Excel folder. From there you can open and save without issue. But you can never move the file to another location if you want to keep working with it. Unfortunately for us, that's the issue. We ned to figure out how to create our server as a safe location so we don't have to constantly use this folder.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Here is a page that tells the 'why it is doing that' but their solution is the same as yours.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 09, 2017, 11:41:47 AMHere is a page that tells the 'why it is doing that' but their solution is the same as yours.
What page?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I sent it to you telepathically. :rotf:

But here it is the old fashioned way: http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac034.htm

DigiCorn

yeah... that's exactly where I got my info before I posted here
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

It was something I saw that would easily relate to our line of work. It might help if the powers that be are understanding.

HA, HA, who am I kidding.  :hangme:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

DigiCorn

Basically the solution is to make an alias of the Excel folder in Group Containers and copy stuff into it you want to work on, and then save to that same folder and copy out when you are finished. It's an extra step, but all other solutions work once and then never again for some reason. The guy that does the IT work here is a prick, so he won't fix the permissions on the server.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway