News:

Main Menu

Compound paths

Started by Farabomb, June 12, 2017, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

So I have a little project here that's outlines with compound paths. I need to change the color of the first letter. If I try to change it, it changes the whole line. I've found that I can track down the compound path in layers and release it then I can change the first letter.

The thing is when I do that and there are letterforms like O, P, e and the like the inner path fills in with the color of the letter. I can make it work by playing with the layer order and filling it with white but there has to be a better way to do it. At least I assume there is a better way. I can manage to click on things in illustrator and eventually make things work most of the time. That's great when I'm not pressed for time but I'd rather learn the correct way to accomplish it than hacking through it all the time.

I use release compound (build) to get it to work, is there another, more correct way?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Without releasing the compound path, can you use the Direct Select tool (white pointer) to select just the one letter and change its color?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

Direct selection is the only way to select it, the selection tool (black) will pick up another box.

It will show that only that letter is selected but if I change the color, it changes all the letters in the line.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

When that happens to me, and I forget to compound path it, I just punch it out with pathfinder and delete the dot in the middle.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I got it done, it wasn't all that hard once I figured out what needed to be done. I was just wondering if there was a more "correct" way of doing it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Would Add Unnamed / Add Used Colors put them in the swatch palette? I know sometimes it doesn't always work or the color might not be a global swatch. It helps sometimes though.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on June 12, 2017, 10:04:11 AMSo I have a little project here that's outlines with compound paths. I need to change the color of the first letter. If I try to change it, it changes the whole line. I've found that I can track down the compound path in layers and release it then I can change the first letter.

The thing is when I do that and there are letterforms like O, P, e and the like the inner path fills in with the color of the letter. I can make it work by playing with the layer order and filling it with white but there has to be a better way to do it. At least I assume there is a better way. I can manage to click on things in illustrator and eventually make things work most of the time. That's great when I'm not pressed for time but I'd rather learn the correct way to accomplish it than hacking through it all the time.

I use release compound (build) to get it to work, is there another, more correct way?
If you use the white arrow w the + sign (group select) and double click on a letter it should pick up the outside path, then the inner dot, so you have the whole letter. Only works if there's an inner path like in an a, e or o.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Ok, I pulled most of the stuff out to be able to post it but you'll see what going on. Maybe it's because I'm using CS6 but it didn't error when I opened it and I'm pretty sure the designer hasn't got on the CC train yet.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mwc

Don't think it has anything to do with the version, opened in CC and see the same thing (releasing clipping and compound path to make the edit in AI). In Acrobat DC you can 'edit' the text and select/recolor individual characters (if the text if recognized when converting paths TO text....yes, it actually does this....sometimes...).
The old standby for us is PITSTOP for these 'pesky' changes.
I don't know of a 'better' way unless you get your hands on the original files before the text was converted.
As with most things in PREPRESS/PREP, you have some of the tools to do the surgery...but when shit don't play right, it becomes that hacked-up mess...important thing is who(or what) survives in the end.

David

It looks like they made each whole word a compound path. Release the clipping mask, release the compound, then re-compound  the O's, A's etc., then you can color the letters individually.  Way too much work.

musta been a pro that built that file. Oh, and I really like the "artistic" touch of the little boxes and dots on the letters, makes it look so arty.

:facepalm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

That's exactly what I ended up doing. It really wasn't hard once I knew what had to be done. Those dots are the reason I needed to play with the file. They print out these diplomas and then use a gold paint marker to fill those dots with gold. I was told it takes them days.  :rotf:

I just thought it was me. I didn't expect the file to react like that but this designer is a bit uppity.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Quote from: Farabomb on June 13, 2017, 08:56:19 AM....but this designer is a bit uppity.

yes, this is my shocked face

:shocked:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on June 13, 2017, 06:23:40 AMOk, I pulled most of the stuff out to be able to post it but you'll see what going on. Maybe it's because I'm using CS6 but it didn't error when I opened it and I'm pretty sure the designer hasn't got on the CC train yet.
I used CS6 to pop the pdf. I selected the "B" with the dot and used Pathfinder to subtract from the shape area. Was then able to colour the "B" anything I wanted. Not sure if that was the effect you were after tho'. If the dot has to be coloured another colour (other than white), select it , copy in front and raise to a new layer. Then do the pathfinder thing on the original layer, colour the B whatever, and then colour the dot on Layer 2 whatever you want.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DPSprint

Quote from: Farabomb on June 13, 2017, 08:56:19 AMThey print out these diplomas and then use a gold paint marker to fill those dots with gold. I was told it takes them days.  :rotf:
OMG!
***imagining people colouring in the dots!***

wouldn't a gold foil be a little easier? might be too small maybe i guess

JohnG

One small way to speed things up is to release the compound path, deselect only the parts of the "B", and then re-Make the compound path to restore the other letters. (Then, of course, Make a compound path of the "B" and color it as needed.)