Spot UV and gradients

Started by Farabomb, March 20, 2017, 07:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I don't remember seeing it done before but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Has anyone done a spot UV with a gradient in it?

I attached a screenshot from the UV file. Since nobody calls the printer first I have to change it from spot to K and there is a pretty big step I may have to fix. Don't want to go crazy fixing a file that isn't going to work. The outside finisher has seen the files and the only thing they say is the UV isn't going to hit dead on and there will be a halo. I assume they looked past the first page and saw the gradient. These are also the same people that can't convert a spot color to K for some reason. 
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Quote from my UV'er "UV images should always be 100% coating.
Gradients, screens and vignettes UV coat with unpredictable and uneven results"

My Vendor gave me a film tool that shows the standards they require
yours may have one too.

Farabomb

Right now, it's on them as they said they can reproduce the file. I'll drop them a line again but they never answer me back unless I pester them for half the day.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

If the UV is going flexo, it will never fit and you will lose the lighter edge of the vignette. The "halo" they speak of is a result of the UV being done as flexo.
If it is going to be a standard offset plate and printed in line, I don't see why it wouldn't work, you just may need to adjust the vignette to print evenly.

YMMV
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

That is part of the issue. It's created as a spot but the UV place can't handle anything that isn't black. When I changed the gradient it became a hard line on one of them so I don't know if I should fix it or let them do it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

what app was used to create the vignette?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Not sure, don't have the natives. Pretty sure it's indy and I'm changing it in pitstop. Not helping that they are using the newest CC and saving it as 1.3 like morons. There were more than one element but it's only noticeable in one.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I remember the good old days when Illustrator and page layout apps couldn't create gradients and they had to be done in Photoshop. :cane:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

the magic word...   blends!
remember when you could give them 256 steps and watch your Mac with 4mb of ram slow to a crawl?

thems was the days
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

...on a B&W 12" monitor

...in wireframe view

:shudder: I try not to remember
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...