News:

Main Menu

Server hotswapping

Started by frailer, June 27, 2017, 10:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I just went and looked at our old AGFA server. Has those drives but only 36.4 G drives.

I think I need to take those 3 rackmounts home just on principle.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I got over my desire to save every old computer system. They are slow, use too much power and put out a lot of heat. They go to the Boy Scouts of America recycling program anymore.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I want to take the whole rack home but I think the woman would get a bit pissed.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I do need a place to put all my PC's at home but a rack mount wouldn't work since I have no rack mount PC's at home. Maybe a barn would help.

Farabomb

I have them scattered throughout my tiny house. Luckily the woman is understanding.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Well, on Friday our in-house systems guy, (not so much IT/computer specific, but reasonable skill in the area), walked me though over the phone on the drive swap. Once restarted, it still showed an error light. H e arranged to come up Monday morning.
Long story short, it seems it's a battery located on the Array Controller board, on the main board. As this is an 11 year old box, we're stepping back from it, as it's for de-commissioning in about 2 weeks. I'm diligently Archiving (XMF Archiving), all jobs in the meantime.

As well as that, the transit motor on the plate processor decided to shit itself, (brushes gone), so >$1000 (punitive bean-counter storage charges... they compound the price every year). The processor will (should) go in about 6~8 weeks.

Mr Murphy at work; but it's what can happen when you hang on to equipment beyond a reasonable 'use-by'.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

The XMF server box-swap is imminent; about a week, I think.
I've ordered this as an interim (on instruction) to run the Luxel off the new server, until the Screen 'setter arrives... 6~8 weeks, supposedly.
Realz...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Farabomb

Is that a Firewire card? Who still uses firewire?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Probably is. When everyone stopped using SCSI they went to Firewire for a short time. We still have a Creo scanner hooked up to a G5 that is Firewire.

Farabomb

I still have my iPod that charges only on firewire. Waiting a few more years before the hipsters go nuts and have to have one. I can sell it and retire.  ::)

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on July 19, 2017, 06:51:54 AMIs that a Firewire card? Who still uses firewire?
The Luxel V6 uses it. It's been in 11 years.
It's an interim measure so that the new server can replace the old one, have XMF upgraded yada...and still feed the Luxel until the Screen 4600 comes in. Worth every cent of the $100 ish to do that.

frailer

Pics are PCI Card (FireWire) going in @ 1600 hrs.. He goes home and does a brief fiddle re Black Magic.

He returns, like Macarthur, at 0830 tomorrow. Plan is to get our Archived (XMF jobs I've saved off to a LaCie drive from the old server), pull em back over.
Hopefully be running in a few hours. All plated for tomorrow morning's press runs, so pressure's off there.

We then await the Screen 4600S from JapanLand.
I thought I was too old to get excited, (other than sighting old pics of Valerie Perrine), but...  :banana:

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on July 19, 2017, 07:03:37 AMI still have my iPod that charges only on firewire. Waiting a few more years before the hipsters go nuts and have to have one. I can sell it and retire.  ::)
Don't roll your eyes mate; wait. Now if only I'd bought up some of those Quicksilver G4s, and the odd Blu'n'white G3.

Serious works of art that many a cashed up hipster would have on their half-acre coffee table.

Farabomb

Holy RAM slots batman. I count 18, is that right?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job