News:

Main Menu

mirroring guides

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 12, 2022, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Hmmm, can't seem to get that to work. But then again I was never thought of as the sharpest tool in the shed.

I will stick to the script, it's a no brainer!

Tracy

It's all in the math, so your basically flopping it
If we wanted to do math we wouldn't need the script Joe!  ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

Oh, it's all in the "flop" is it? I will try once more.

Tracy

so if you have a 1" guide on the left to mirror it, it will be 1" from the right

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on October 14, 2022, 09:40:36 AMIt's all in the math, so your basically flopping it
If we wanted to do math we wouldn't need the script Joe!  ;D
Math is your friend.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 14, 2022, 09:34:22 AMHmmm, can't seem to get that to work. But then again I was never thought of as the sharpest tool in the shed.
QuoteSo you can manually do this in InDesign too. For example if you have panels of 5" x 8", 5" x 8", and 4" x 8" (just to simplify the numbers) Your document would be 14" x 8". Your guide on page 1 would be at 5" and 10".
As I said in my example above. Document is 14" wide. First guide on front is at 5" and and the other is at 10" meaning the guide at 10" is 4" from the right side and the guide at 5" from left is 9" from the right. That means your guides on the back needs to be at 4" and 9" from the left. So when you select both guides on the front and copy and then paste them on the back they are still selected and you can see that they are at the same position as the front. 5" and 10" from the left.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.00.22 PM.png

Now change the X coordinate to 4" and it will move both of them. The first to 4" and the other to 9".

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.00.35 PM.png

As I said to Tracy...math is your friend.  :P

It is doing the same thing the script does only the script does the math for you.

pspdfppdfxhd

Am i losing my mind? I am just not getting it. Okay, so you have a 14 inch board. One guide is at 7 inches. There are 6 more guides to the right of it spaced one inch apart. Can it be flopped in this scenario? I am not a member of Mensa but am considered smarter than the average bear. (at least my mom thought so)

Joe

Yes. Select all guides and copy and then paste to the back page and change X coordinate from 7" to 1". (I think anyway. Not at my computer right now to try)

Joe

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, when i get back to the sweatshop on monday i will give it a go and it might sink into my thick skull. I am envisioning that the whole lot of guides go left and off the board. That's what was happening when i experimented earlier.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 14, 2022, 03:25:23 PMI am envisioning that the whole lot of guides go left and off the board. That's what was happening when i experimented earlier.
When you paste it is doing that?

pspdfppdfxhd

Not when pasting when changing the x coordinates.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 14, 2022, 04:20:17 PMNot when pasting when changing the x coordinates.
Make sure your reference point is set to upper left. Also when you are changing the X coordinate the guides are still selected right?

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 5.35.03 PM.png

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, the weekend is happening, i will get to it on monday, thanks for all the provisions for a special needs student.  ;D

Tracy

make sure your pasting in place