InDesign Merge Mail Bar Codes

Started by Tracy, September 27, 2022, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Has anyone done Mailing bar codes with InDesign?
I have never done any kind of bar codes with excel so not sure what is required

David

I've done bar code merges before, you just have to set up a column in the Excel file with an image tag (@graphic).
I keep the .txt file in the same folder with the images.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.57.18 AM.jpeg
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

so you created the bar codes? what program
is there a fast way to put them into excel?
have you created bar codes within InDesign?

;D so many questions
Thanks man!

David

yes, I made the barcodes in a program called Bar Code Studio.
When these are made, they all have consecutive numbers, which helps with setting up the Excel file.
Here is how the data is set up in Indesign for the merge:

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.11.46 AM.jpeg

you can see the tag will pick up the column in excel for the images from the b column (@graphic) and the code number associated with the graphic will be place above the image, which have to be all in the same folder along with any other data and the .txt file.
Livin' la Vida Loca

DCurry

If you just need to create the IMB barcode, is the data already in your list? We use a certain font that just shows the characters in the data as the barcode - all the characters are either A, D, F or T and the font is USPSIMBCompact.

Of course, our data processing department does whatever needs to be done to generate the characters - I'm not doing any sort of encoding, just representing the characters with a particular font.

Here's a screenshot showing with the barcode font, and what the characters are in Arial.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.59.42 PM.png
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

No screenshot!
I just found out they are sending the excel with the barcode in the data, not sure yet.
I do want to learn how to do this.

@David I'm assuming your field name is "graphic" for the bar code, correct?

David

yes, it swaps an image for the data (text) you would normally do in a merge.
Livin' la Vida Loca

AaronH

We do this all the time too. Our barcode font is called USPSIMBStandard.ttf and our mail house says the font needs to be 16pt with default spacing.

USPSIMBStandard.ttf.zip
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

coolio! and thanks for the font Aaron

oh I see the @ symbol in front of graphic

Slappy

Quote from: AaronH on September 27, 2022, 01:44:25 PMWe do this all the time too. Our barcode font is called USPSIMBStandard.ttf and our mail house says the font needs to be 16pt with default spacing.

USPSIMBStandard.ttf.zip
Yup, that's what we use too - once the Mail Dept Magicians have generated the Plain Text part of the data to encode the IMB. I always run internal Proof PDFs past them too, the spacing & position of mail info gives me fits.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on September 27, 2022, 02:10:40 PMcoolio! and thanks for the font Aaron

oh I see the @ symbol in front of graphic
Watch how you say his name and never take it in vain. Dude's a gangsta and he doesn't like joking around; he's still pissed at Weird Al.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

And yet that song is Weird Al's masterpiece, IMHO!

Funny story - Several years ago, my pre-teen daughter really wanted to see Lindsey Stirling in concert, but the closest she was playing was about 90 minutes away. We told her if she came up with the ticket money we would take her, not thinking she would. Well, she opened a little bake sale/lemonade stand and earned her $90 in one afternoon so we made good on the promise (I had to buy my own ticket.)

Around the same time, she had discovered Weird Al and we were listening to all of his music on random shuffle on the drive to the Lindsey Stirling concert. The route from my house to the venue took us through Amish country (about 70 minutes into the drive), and as soon as we saw our very first horse and buggy the iPod was just starting to play Amish Paradise! The timing was perfect.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

AaronH

Quote from: Tracy on September 27, 2022, 02:10:40 PMcoolio! and thanks for the font Aaron

oh I see the @ symbol in front of graphic
You bet!
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

Holy Cow! I did it
I made the barcode 16pt using the USPSIMB font
I thought it didn't work at first (operator error) and tried it again!
I walked my proof over to the mailing guy and he said it was perfect

Ha ha I learned something!

Thanks all, I really thought I wasn't going to get