News:

Main Menu

Fuji J Presses

Started by Slappy, August 15, 2021, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Anybody running one, which model & how's the experience been if so?

We're shopping, in advance of a full shop move later this year & our aging 29" Komori is potentially not going along. (Alternately, I think the addition of a new inkjet may also be in the running.) We'd be most interested in the 750S, but if there's feedback on the 720S I'd be interested also.

We've already been running XMF for over 3 years, so at least that part wouldn't be a big deal. Fun times ahead!!  :banana:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

seratne

Digging up old threads because I been away for a while.

The JPress is impressive. We've been running the 720 for a couple years now. There's some issues with backing up < 70# text, and > 13.5 mic'd cover stock. And dutch cut cut/stack impositions aren't possible unless you impose before submitting to XMF. But, honestly those are the only negatives I've seen. Consistency, quality, and uptime have been great (much better than iGens and Iridesse). There's some maintenance to do every day you run, but really not much more than offset.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Slappy

Good to know, thanks! I'll have to ask where the JPress is in the running, they've been evaluating (and of course visiting EVERY demo center up & down the coast) so I'm curious who the front runner is right now. I know the samples off of the Fuji were impressive.

Quote from: seratne on September 17, 2021, 01:05:14 PM
There's some issues with backing up < 70# text, and > 13.5 mic'd cover stock.
Oh really, can you elaborate? Particularly on the 70#T as we run a fair amount in that range, uncoated & coated.

QuoteAnd dutch cut cut/stack impositions aren't possible unless you impose before submitting to XMF.
Don't do many of those, fortunately. I never took to the way XMF does them honestly, I'll manually impo in InDesign & slap that PDF into Fuji when it's necessary.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

seratne

Oh really, can you elaborate? Particularly on the 70#T as we run a fair amount in that range, uncoated & coated.

Any waviness in the paper will stop the JPress, in order to save any crashes on the heads. And 70# ends up getting just a bit too wavy to feed through unless you put them in the conditioner/jogger machine for a while. We've had no issues with 80#, and sometimes will just eat the cost of going to 80#. Also in the winter months we can usually get the 70# to run after just letting it sit for a couple hours and hand throwing the paper.

For the dutch cuts, I've been throwing them through Agfa Apogee with the old Preps 5 integration module. Although even that has a limit of 10,000 pages. It's really only an issue for variable documents.