News:

Main Menu

PDF to ID

Started by Farabomb, July 24, 2017, 07:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Does anyone happen to have a copy of PDF to ID. In the infinite wisdom of the boss he just got PDF's of all the materials instead of the natives. He should know better since he's in the GD printing business. We have massive edits and doing them all in the PDf is going to be far harder than it needs to.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I do not. Probably wouldn't trust it even if I did! :hello:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

open them in Illy...  (hides from Dov...  :shocked:   )

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I don't trust it at all, I just was wondering if anyone here had it. I'm going to have to recreate the whole damn thing anyway.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

From Acrobat you can save it to a Word doc. I'm sure it will be OK. :sarcasm:

David

believe it or not... I have saved a pdf as a RTF and it was almost not bad bring it into Indesign.

Notice I said almost

YMMV
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Designia(o_O)

Do any of the companies that have to PDF2ID plug-in have a freebie if you signup for their newsletter?

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2017, 08:49:06 AMFrom Acrobat you can save it to a Word doc. I'm sure it will be OK. :sarcasm:

I've actually done this before when I just had a bunch of page edits to make to a long document and the customer only had the PDF. Luckily, the original was done in Word to begin with so it maintained its integrity perfectly. I was impressed.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I tried the word doc and RTF and both didn't keep anything close. Now I'm fighting with subsets and some really, really funky font issues with pitstop. Like being named bold but is obviously bold italic but when I embed, it turns out to be light.  :huh:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

Save the text as an RTF and export all of the images from the PDF. Be sure your preferences are setup correctly for this before you do it.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on July 24, 2017, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2017, 08:49:06 AMFrom Acrobat you can save it to a Word doc. I'm sure it will be OK. :sarcasm:

I've actually done this before when I just had a bunch of page edits to make to a long document and the customer only had the PDF. Luckily, the original was done in Word to begin with so it maintained its integrity perfectly. I was impressed.

I tried it on a complex PDF before that originated from Quark and it was a complete and total mess. I've tried to save as HTML before too and that doesn't work worth a damn either.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: mattbeals on July 24, 2017, 01:50:33 PMSave the text as an RTF and export all of the images from the PDF. Be sure your preferences are setup correctly for this before you do it.
This is how I would do it.  It can be a lot of work but if this is to be an ongoing job it would be worth it.  

The text will need to be reformatted when you reimport it.  To save time redoing the layout I would create another layer for the PDFs and lock it.  Then you have position for all the text and graphics and can see right away if the text has reflowed.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Slappy

I've got a much better solution.

:drunk3:  :shoots_self:

God help you.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.