Harlequin RIP output drivers

Started by Possum, May 02, 2008, 01:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

We've got a Harlequin RIP 510 that we want to use with a Katana 5055 imagesetter. Our old imagesetter was another brand and died. Seems like all we have is the output plug-in for the old model, but the RIP manual says it will run the Katana we have. Do we need another plug-in?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Ear

I'm pretty sure you need the driver for the 5055, or at least the 5000 series of Screen imagesetters.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Possum

Thanks, Earendil. Know where we can get one? Or do we have to buy the whole RIP setup again specifically for this imagesetter?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

Thanks, DCS. I'll sure look that up.

Ear

You shouldn't need to buy anything, that link DCS provided is probably the ticket. The only time you would have to buy anything is if the new imagesetter was using a different SCSI interface than the old one, in that case you would have to install a new SCSI card in the computer which would come with it's own driver, you would still need the driver for the imagesetter.

A Harlequin Rip will send to most anything with the proper driver. It needs the driver as a means of understanding the dimensions, properties and basically communicating with the given device. You will need to open the Harlequin Rip and configure it to support the 5055 by adding a device and using the driver you download as the configuration. It's similar to using a PPD to drive a Postscript Printer from your computer, just on a grander scale.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Possum

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll tell my boss. He moved the Katana from another shop he owns, don't know how old it is, but the RIP is on a Mac G3 running OS 8.6, so it's old. We may not be able to get a driver that will work with it.

beermonster

really? i'd get that rip upgraded quickly - it will have some fun with pdf's, transparencies and the like

we had a katana here - solid capstan machine - worked well for us...even though (and i dont want no-one laughing at this - I DIDN'T BUY IT) - even though :embarrassed: it's a B2 machine and we are B1 printers...so the stripper/hand planner and me had fun piecing it all together....
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Second what beer says. Really reliable unit, assuming it's been reasonably looked after till now. Loading the film takes a little bit of getting used to. Make sure you use a an Olfa knife to cut a straight edge, [there's a slit for you too do this]. If not, film may jam on loading.

If you have any trouble, post back, and I'll rack my brain on the ins and outs. Have you got the online processor?...LDM-something...If so, its Achilles Heel is a crappy little exhaust  fan, [to take dev fumes away from the Katana; mounted centre-top/left side, [facing film direction]. I replaced it with a generic electronics chain one, which I ended up just gaffer taping in place. Not a whimper after that; just slightly over-spec it though...

Also assume your boss got the wide-SCSI cable with it? Reportedly worth about $3000.    :smiley:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

yeah the only problem we had was a feed problem - residue from the film was getting onto the velvet feed edges of the film cassette - which caused it to "stick" slightly - thus mis-register etc

so keep those lil velvet strips clean and cack free
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Funny you should mention that. If that exhaust fan carks it, you don't even know, [it's pretty quiet anyway], and then you get condensation in the bridge aperture, like you describe. Suspect your fan may have ceased to exist, like the dead parrot. A film jam in a Katana is fun, right?!     :cry:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Possum

No processor, but I think it's got a punch. I've worked with several imagesetters, I know how fussy they are about straight edges. Oh, and got long SCSI cable. Right now, I'm waiting for tech guy to call back. Got some drivers from them, but need something else.

AX6666

k可以联系我的邮箱 我发给你wen19940310@live.com 他来自Harlequin官方驱动