Running low on disk Space. Adobe indesign needs space for temporary data on ""

Started by aprilmarie, February 12, 2009, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aprilmarie

I just started getting this message this week. How do I clear or free up more space.

Running low on disk Space. Adobe indesign needs space for temporary data on "Macintosh HD"

CS3
Mac
April Pinkerton

Graphics Manager
IMAGE CONCEPT
8200 Sweet Valley Drive
Valley View OH 44125
216-524-9000

DigitalCrapShoveler

Your hard drive is full. Back up, and start trashing stuff. The problem is only going to get worse. When you're done, make sure to run optimization and cache cleaning...
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Better yet...buy a new faster bigger hard drive. A new sata 320 gb hd is less than $50 at newegg. Carbon Copy clone your old system over and you won't miss a beat.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

aprilmarie

yes, yes, yes, I know! I would love to. I have a Power Mac tower. Its not that bad. We have a new Imac and I swear its worse even though numbers say otherwise!

what am i throwing out? I've had the same stuff on here for years. I threw out some misc pics yesterday. We work off of a server. So not sure where to start. Maybe all these programs someone loaded and are never used?

Thanks!!!

April
April Pinkerton

Graphics Manager
IMAGE CONCEPT
8200 Sweet Valley Drive
Valley View OH 44125
216-524-9000

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pmhapp

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: aprilmarie on February 12, 2009, 12:24:24 PMyes, yes, yes, I know! I would love to. I have a Power Mac tower. Its not that bad. We have a new Imac and I swear its worse even though numbers say otherwise!

what am i throwing out? I've had the same stuff on here for years. I threw out some misc pics yesterday. We work off of a server. So not sure where to start. Maybe all these programs someone loaded and are never used?

Thanks!!!

April

Was the file exceptionally large April? The memory error might have been originating from the fact you are working on a bloated file. OR, you need to optimize. If you do ANYTHING local, and trash it, it leaves holes in your hard drive space. When a new file gets copied over, that hole gets filled, then skips over pertinent data, until another hole... and keeps doing this until your drive becomes so fragmented, systems start going berserk. You need to maintenance your machine weekly with tools like Onyx. Cleaning internet caches, font caches, redundant crap... all of it needs to be watched and handled. Your computer is like your bathroom. Keep the toilet clean. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

aprilmarie, am going to suggest a threadjack here of the most constructive kind. Maybe here is a good place/time for people to spell out a bit what they do regularly to try and "stay clean".
I'll kick off, FWIW, but wil be more than happy to change my routine if someone comes up with a better-sounding one.

-Repair Permissions; minimum weekly, sometimes more often, depending on whether lots of stuff loading on, or moving stuff onto other drives.
-cache clean, maybe fortnightly.
Above done via Cocktail. (downloadable Shareware).
-run fsck, around weekly.

...oh, and FEX's stuff under "Tools".
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

David

oh man, fsck is easy.

go to your Scitex PS2, log in to the console, type in fsck -yf, and watch the screen, when it's done, type reboot.

wooops!

sorry, I was going back in time, but believe it or not, it's almost the same proceedure.

First, reboot your Mac, when you first hear the chime, hold down the command and S keys. This will bring you into what is known as Verbose mode, or to the layman, Single user mode.
At the prompt, type in
sbin/fsck -yf (exactly as it is written, fsckspaceminusyf
it will go through all your headers, catalogs yada yada yada
when it's done, if it says your disk is okay, type in....

oh screw it, read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

You may find it useful to get a utility like Cocktail or Onyx (the one I use).
They will do this for you as well as run your CRON scripts and empty your caches, all for free!
And you don't have to learn UNIX commands!

woo hoo!
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on February 13, 2009, 01:42:04 PMYou may find it useful to get a utility like Cocktail or Onyx (the one I use).
They will do this for you as well as run your CRON scripts and empty your caches, all for free!
And you don't have to learn UNIX commands!

woo hoo!

Yeah, whatever dude. Typically I prefer to use Safari for stuff like that. Clears the cache, you know. It's my way of "tricking" the computer into doing what I want.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

safari is for nubes, go all techy and get a tool!

oh wait...

hehehehe
I said tool...
Livin' la Vida Loca