Android tablet preference

Started by Joe, November 27, 2012, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

The FBA product in this case was 250% more in cost.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

JCPenfold

I've only ever used my iPad and Nexus, but I want to get my mother a tablet for Xmas. She's not very tech-savvy. At all. Should I go with the Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7? I haven't tried the Note yet besides a few seconds at Best Buy. Anyone know which one is the absolute user friendliest? I mean my 2 year old can use an iPad, but my husband would kill me if I spend $500 on a tablet for her so I'm looking at the more basic models :)

DigiCorn

I bought my Mom a nook HD for Christmas for this very reason (she's not tech saavy at all). This way, she can go into any Barnes and Noble and sign up for free nook classes or get help in store any time she needs it. I don't have to help or do phone tech support for her.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

JCPenfold

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 07, 2012, 12:56:14 PMI bought my Mom a nook HD for Christmas for this very reason (she's not tech saavy at all). This way, she can go into any Barnes and Noble and sign up for free nook classes or get help in store any time she needs it. I don't have to help or do phone tech support for her.

Sounds logical to me, she tends to have trouble finding her wifi network at least once a day and then I get the phone call :)

Joe

Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 12:54:05 PMI've only ever used my iPad and Nexus, but I want to get my mother a tablet for Xmas. She's not very tech-savvy. At all. Should I go with the Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7? I haven't tried the Note yet besides a few seconds at Best Buy. Anyone know which one is the absolute user friendliest? I mean my 2 year old can use an iPad, but my husband would kill me if I spend $500 on a tablet for her so I'm looking at the more basic models :)

:lmao:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

It's made from the silk of the elusive and very rare Xian paper worm.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

JCPenfold

Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2012, 01:55:36 PM
Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 12:54:05 PMI've only ever used my iPad and Nexus, but I want to get my mother a tablet for Xmas. She's not very tech-savvy. At all. Should I go with the Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7? I haven't tried the Note yet besides a few seconds at Best Buy. Anyone know which one is the absolute user friendliest? I mean my 2 year old can use an iPad, but my husband would kill me if I spend $500 on a tablet for her so I'm looking at the more basic models :)

:lmao:

:goodpost:

I've thought about it, believe me, she just wants to something to go online and check email, I don't even think she plans on reading books or watching movies, but she's got it in her head that she wants one  :tantrum2:

Joe

Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 02:26:22 PMI've thought about it, believe me, she just wants to something to go online and check email, I don't even think she plans on reading books or watching movies, but she's got it in her head that she wants one  :tantrum2:

I sense trouble in your future. Keep your phone handy as you have to give out personalized tech support anytime you give someone a present like that. I think it's written in the bible somewhere. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

That's why I never tell people I work with computers & graphics. It never works out well.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

JCPenfold

Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2012, 02:29:42 PM
Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 02:26:22 PMI've thought about it, believe me, she just wants to something to go online and check email, I don't even think she plans on reading books or watching movies, but she's got it in her head that she wants one  :tantrum2:

I sense trouble in your future. Keep your phone handy as you have to give out personalized tech support anytime you give someone a present like that. I think it's written in the bible somewhere. :laugh:

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right based on the  laptop I bought her 2 years ago

I don't know what it is, she just has a magical ability to break computers, it's kind of scary

JCPenfold

Quote from: gnubler on December 07, 2012, 02:42:45 PMThat's why I never tell people I work with computers & graphics. It never works out well.

What? You don't like giving free tech support and getting suckered into designing a "quick and easy" poster/brochure/business card/flyer/etc?

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on December 07, 2012, 02:42:45 PMThat's why I never tell people I work with computers & graphics. It never works out well.

you think that's bad, don't ever make the mistake of telling someone you know plumbing
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2012, 03:16:21 PM

you think that's bad, don't ever make the mistake of telling someone you know plumbing
or tile work
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 07, 2012, 03:22:17 PM
Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2012, 03:16:21 PM

or tile work

I'd actually do tile work for someone, but for the going rate. Never for free.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait