News:

Main Menu

Pitstop 2017

Started by Tracy, July 05, 2017, 10:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampymarsh

Quote from: Tracy on July 10, 2017, 12:06:56 PMWhy is removing RGB profiles bad

RGB and CMYK colour modes are just values/numbers. They are "device dependent" – it depends on which physical device and on which ICC profile is coupled with the values/numbers on the actual perceived colour that is produced:

http://prepression.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/rgb-icc-profile-roulette.html

Quote from: Tracy on July 10, 2017, 12:06:56 PMand what is object level ICC?

In a PDF file, objects can have an ICC profile associated with them (vectors, text, rasters) – and in the case of PDF standards, the entire document can also have an "output intent" ICC profile set.

DeviceLink profile conversions in PitStop can't be performed on objects that contain an ICC profile, they only work on "device" colours (PDF talk for untagged, no object level ICC profile).

So if one must remove ICC tags to run a DeviceLink Profile, and for example the profile is CMYK > CMYK, there is no benefit for also removing RGB ICC profiles.

Tracy

I have used the TAC for some jobs.
In todays webinar, he talked about working with images
and how the file size gets bigger when you do, I do experience this.
I will watch the video again, but hoping you could elaborate on this ABC.

Pitstop 2017 has some great added features, looks like with the maintenance license
we will be able to learn some advanced stuff on the website soon.

abc

Ok so here's the explanation.
You know when you save an image or create a PDF you have compression options. Maximum, High, Medium etc.
These obviously compress the images during the creation of the PDF.

So when you edit/convert/manipulate an image in PitStop, the image has to be opened (uncompressed), the change made, and then the image is saved again (and re-compressed during this process).

The default compression that PitStop uses for this (which you don't see, it just happens) is High.
So, if you have PDF where the original files are compressed with 'Medium' and the edited resaved images are then 'High" the file size will grow.
You can adjust this with Action Lists or changing compression in the Inspector, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Joe

Anyone that uses medium settings should be tarred and feathered.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

all too common though!

Joe

Tracy

Thanks ABC!
Wanting to learn everything about this TAC.
I usually compress images to Zip before adjusting images
in photoshop, (they are usually .jpg compressed) 
so I don't need to compress images before using the TAC action?

abc

Don't confuse the two things. TAC is Total Area Coverage, also sometimes called TIC Total Ink Coverage amongst other things.
That's the check for the amount of ink going down onto the substrate.
The Devicelink helps you control that so you don't get marking/setoff or drying issues.

The part about compression applies to any edits or conversions you do on images in a PDF file.
If you get a file from the customer take a look a the compression before using the PitStop Inspector, edit an image in someway and then look at the result afterwards.

You raised a good question though, I'm not sure if we keep the original compression when edits are made, in your case zip which doesn't have a whole lot of options.

Joe

Zip doesn't need a lot of options. It is lossless compression and should be the default. Adobe disagrees with me on that.

mattbeals

JPEG high is reasonable for most applications, for graphic arts not so much. But PDF is so much bigger than printing. Easier/faster/smaller transmission and storage of data where JPEG artifacts are either not noticed or immaterial. In my days we changed all non-zip compressed objects to zip compressed. When we sent out documents we zip compressed everything. But that was our choice. The efficiency that JPEG high offers vs. 8-bit zip can be substantial.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Ear

But we're printers, we don't care about how other people use PDF.  :cane: It does stand for Prepress Document Format, right? I rest my case.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I think PDF X4, which is for printing, should be zip. I know I will probably lose that argument to Adobe but I don't care. Disk space is cheap.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on August 03, 2017, 11:30:25 AMBut we're printers, we don't care about how other people use PDF.  :cane: It does stand for Prepress Document Format, right? I rest my case.

Ummmm....right. :rotf:

Ear

PDF X4 is still below standard, for 2017 model workflows... I too will lose the argument, but in 5 years, when everyone else upgrades, they will have the same growing pains. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Quote from: Joe on August 03, 2017, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: Ear on August 03, 2017, 11:30:25 AMBut we're printers, we don't care about how other people use PDF.  :cane: It does stand for Prepress Document Format, right? I rest my case.

Ummmm....right. :rotf:
:hello:  seriously, warchild. WTF does the rest of the world need PDF for, FFS? It just confuses them as to what a PDF really is. They all claim a shitty jpeg "looks good on their screen"... I say, give them jpegs and let us printers keep the PDF.