Seagate/LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 2 backup to OneDrive Problems

Started by AaronH, March 23, 2018, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

So... I had been looking into offsite backup solutions for our file server for a while now and decided on Microsoft's OneDrive for Business. We already use them for our email hosting so it was a pretty simple thing to add. I get my 5Big updated (not the primary one but the mirror/local backup one up to date) and try to get the backup to use the one drive. I get an authentication window that points to personal Microsoft accounts, not business accounts. Anyone know how to authenticate for a business account? I've got Microsoft support looking into this for me but they're kinda slow... I'd have Seagate and LaCie looking into it as well but I can't find a contact link for support. It goes cycling between the contact page and the support knowledge base page... not helpful.

Thanks guys!
Aaron

edit: I wasn't sure where to put this post so I threw it in General... Sorry Joe if it's in the wrong place.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

It should be fine here.

I can't help as I have only used the free 5GB personal account but do they not have an app to log into for the business account like they have for the personal account?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

There's an app like the personal account, but for some reason the authentication window that pops up in the NAS OS for the LaCie drive points to the personal account login page. I can't figure out how to get around it.

Joe

So this is the NAS backup software that you are trying to use? Does it state it can use One Drive for a business account? It might only support personal accounts.

AaronH

It didn't state one way or another. I'm hoping it's not specifically for personal accounts.

Still no word from Microsoft unfortunately.

Joe

If it is the backup software that was free with the NAS it might be a reduced feature set of the commercial version. I know the backup software that came with our NAS can't backup to our Amazon S3 server but the commercial version (not free) does support it.

AaronH

Oh that's interesting. I'll have to check in on that.

On another note, I found that if you create an account and register your LaCie NAS device, you can actually contact and create a tech support ticket with them, so they say the'll get back to me within 24 hours. So, fingers crossed.

AaronH

Well it turns out that the NAS OS 4 doesn't support business cloud accounts, yet both Seagate and LaCie fail to mention that anywhere in their documentation. I've requested a cancelation of the business OneDrive license and a full refund since I specifically purchased it for that. I sure hope I get it.

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on March 28, 2018, 10:52:17 AMWell it turns out that the NAS OS 4 doesn't support business cloud accounts, yet both Seagate and LaCie fail to mention that anywhere in their documentation. I've requested a cancelation of the business OneDrive license and a full refund since I specifically purchased it for that. I sure hope I get it.

Sounds typical.