Looking for new Impo software

Started by breadfan, June 08, 2022, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadfan

First time here, I've looked in from time to time just to see whats going on in the print world. I've been using Dynastrip for 20 years now but all that is about to end since they are not updating for 64 bit on the mac, nor are they going to continue on the PC side of things. EOL is soon coming, I've always had the support agreement with them and it was sad to hear. I'm an old school stripper from the film days and Dynastrip is all I really know, and to me even with all of it's quirks, I can fly with it and it did anything I asked of it. I'm looking into Preps now, I have dabbled with it once before Dynastrip. Problem is, I have no idea of who to get in touch with and no one from Kodak seems to care. I've dealt with Kodak before, having used their Sword plates for a few years, but that is about it. I'd like to know if a vendor is out there I could contact. But I am open to anything that is a stable platform, and I think maybe my options are limited from the looks of it. I am currently trying Impostrip but it is not for me, I feel like I am going backwards with that software. We mainly just do general print stuff on sheetfed presses, and we perfect many jobs, we have a Komori 28 that prints 4/4 and a Komori 28, 5 color single sided press. A lot of books, brochures, pocket folders, ect. Nothing fancy. We have Esko Automation Engine in the front end and I do use .jdf files in Automation to make things faster when I can, so I'll need that. Otherwise, I just impose .pdf's using Dynastrip and go straight to plate. Any help would be welcomed.

Tracy

Welcome Breadfan!
I use XMF you may be able to call them for a quote
1-800-FlyFuji
It's cheaper than Prinergy

Joe

Preps seems like overkill for what you are doing. Have you looked into inp02? It is an Acrobat plugin for imposition and it is made by Dynagram. The same folks that make Dynastrip. I demoed it a few years ago and it was pretty good.

http://www.dynagram.com/solutions/default.asp?sec=solutions&solution=inpo2
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

breadfan

Quote from: Joe on June 08, 2022, 03:38:58 PMPreps seems like overkill for what you are doing. Have you looked into inp02? It is an Acrobat plugin for imposition and it is made by Dynagram. The same folks that make Dynastrip. I demoed it a few years ago and it was pretty good.

http://www.dynagram.com/solutions/default.asp?sec=solutions&solution=inpo2
Yes, I have used Inpo2 in the past and I have been dealing with Dynagram for a very long time. Inpo2 is also going to have a EOL soon along with Dynastrip so, I don't want to use something without any support. We are a fairly large company and I don't think Preps would be overkill. Of course, contacting them seems almost impossible.

breadfan

Quote from: Tracy on June 08, 2022, 01:11:56 PMWelcome Breadfan!
I use XMF you may be able to call them for a quote
1-800-FlyFuji
It's cheaper than Prinergy
Thank you Tracy! I've dealt with Fuji a lot in the past so I will look into this. Much appreciated. I would like to look into Prinergy also, I have a fairly good size budget, I just don't need all of the other stuff they want to sell you. Seems like everything is bundled nowadays.

abc

Well you can always give us a look over, Impostrip is a standalone imposition application, can optionally integrate with Bindery as well.
Can replace Dynastrip in the workflow you describe.

https://imposition.com/

Joe

breadfan

Quote from: Joe on June 09, 2022, 06:43:51 AMKodak's Contact Sales page: Contact Sales
Yea, we tried that a few time and didn't receive a response. I guess that should tell me something about Kodak.

RMPrepress

Up until 2018 we used Preps in tandem with Esko's Nexus, which is now discontinued or it was rolled into Automation Engine I think.  It worked very well writing .jdf's out of Preps and sending through Nexus to our platesetter.
At that time we decided to go with Kodak Prinergy and of course Preps and also the InSite Portal.
Sounds like you just need imposition software that will adapt and fit well with your workflow and XMF and Prinergy may be overkill for you.
I am partial to Preps because it is all i know for 25 years plus and i know it works well independently as well as with Prinergy.
I have never really been disappointed with Kodak's support however they are slow to react to new OS's etc. and it is expensive.
But you would not need that if you just purchase Preps as a standalone.

Your vendor for your prepress supplies may have a connection to a Kodak sales rep or they may work with Kodak.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

Quote from: breadfan on June 09, 2022, 10:24:00 AM
Quote from: Joe on June 09, 2022, 06:43:51 AMKodak's Contact Sales page: Contact Sales
Yea, we tried that a few time and didn't receive a response. I guess that should tell me something about Kodak.
Not surprised. It always took us multiple attempts to get in touch with sales. Try the number: (800) 621-3456

It is a Kodak number but may not be the exact number you need but they should be able to re-direct you to someone.

Joe

Unrelated to this issue but it looks like Kodak has bailed on their GUA Forums.

going here https://mygua.vbulletin.net gives you this:

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.38.19 PM.png 

RMPrepress

WOW....was just there yesterday afternoon and it was up.

johnny_jay

They seem to have this happen about once a year.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

RMPrepress

Perhaps they forget to renew their domain and/or SSL certificate for the domain.

Joe

Their domain is mygua.org but it re-directs to mygua.vbulletin.net

mygua.org whois info shows:

QuoteDomain Name: mygua.org
Registry Domain ID: 443b7f53fb8541488e6db8724dcc9a4c-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.cscglobal.com
Registrar URL: www.cscglobal.com/global/web/csc/digital-brand
Updated Date: 2021-12-04T06:07:50Z
Creation Date: 2005-12-08T23:28:22Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-12-08T23:28:22Z

It doesn't expire until Dec. 8, 2022

For some reason they aren't using their own domain so they are hosting their forums through vbulletin. Maybe their forum agreement with vbulletin expired. I know this has happened in the past at least once. Maybe more.