Calendar templates

Started by Farabomb, November 16, 2017, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I have a calendar I have to build every year. Normally I use a online template to output the months and then place them in a base indy document. The issue now is it seems the designer moved it from a online form that I can get a PDF out of to a CC addon or something. Since I don't have CC it seems that I'm now locked out of that option.

Juliana Halvorson's InDesign Template is what I've been using but I can't seem to find it anywhere in my files or on the web except for this one site. Not sure what I'm going to do. Of course it needs to have a proof tonight.

I do have a script that might be able to do what I want but I want to recreate it as I have for the past 4 years or so. I've been fighting trying to make the script do what I want but when I looked at the info in the PDF I realized I didn't use the script, that's why it's not working.

Does anyone else have something they use to create calendars? It really doesn't have to be fancy but I want it to look decent. I attached a screenshot of what I'm going for.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Would this work for you? The Wizard is compatible with both Windows and Macintosh versions of Adobe InDesign from CS2 to the latest version.

http://calendarwizard.sourceforge.net/
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

OK that doesn't work on CC 2017 or CC 2018. YMMV with an older version.

Joe

OK it does work if you install it correctly. (Copy the whole folder and all files into the Scripts Panel folder)

Screen Grab of a quick test. When launching I had some errors about holidays but it tells you in the documentation about eidting them I think.

Farabomb

That's the exact one I'm using for a backup. It works well but the options are a little confusing.

I may have found the template I've used in the past so hopefully I might be out of the woods. This time I copied the URL and left it in a text file for the next time I have to do this.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

The last one we did just recently, I tried not to over-think it, and tried to go KISS.

Rotated odds or evens, (whichever it was), in Acrobat, then re-rotated that (those?) pesky one(s) near the back.

Then had a bog-standard saddle stitch which didn't baulk at head-to-foot, as they'd been pre-rotated. If that makes sense.We can usually Restore from Archive in XMF to get the job layout, anyway.

But you're talking upstream in InDes, correct?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

This one is a poster type one so I don't have to do the imposition dance. The template I use has the months as well as placeholders for pictures. I have it set up so I just make a few changes to the template, output a PDF, relink and bob's your uncle. The whole thing that was holding me up was I was trying to use the Java script to make the PDF instead of looking for the online one I use.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

Funny, had to do the "imposition dance" for a calendar this week (laid out by an amateur graphic designer - charity work)

First to make a booklet to proof copy then for plate.

Did it all manually to avoid confusion.

Try to tell a designer how to set it up? Forget that. Just give us single page layouts and let us figure it out
 :drunk3:

Farabomb

Exactly. A dummy of the front spread does help but just give me the single pages and I will rotate them how they are needed to work.

Please do not try and "help" me.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

I think they just don't want to admit they don't know... like how could lesser mortals like printers know anything?

DigiCorn

My (unnamed) franchise provides calendar art. I can send you what I have, but you MUST remove the logos, addressing, change the color scheme, etc. and if anyone in the franchise catches you with it, I'll say you hacked my hard drive.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Hack your hard drive? While I barely know you!

Slappy

Saw an InDesignSecrets article about using some pretty wacky Tables Formatting to create a unique calendar, if you're looking for a challenge. I know I always am.

:sarcasm:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Slappy on November 19, 2017, 02:58:27 PMSaw an InDesignSecrets article about using some pretty wacky Tables Formatting to create a unique calendar, if you're looking for a challenge. I know I always am.

:sarcasm:
I tried Tables in InDesign to set up a calendar template but you can't get them to link across pages.  I use linked text boxes one for each date and Enter (not tab or return) to go to the next text box. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl6e1qm2a8r7yx9/Calendar%20Template%20Creation.pdf?dl=0
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana