Help the old printer out...

Started by fyshy, March 05, 2012, 09:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyshy

I have a deadline coming up and need help from you guys on how to do the following. Please excuse if I have posted this in the wrong spot.

I am new to CS5.5, working on a MacBook Pro.

My supplied file is a tiff. It is a black hand drawing of a shape that is sort of elliptical but irregular in shape. I need to:
(1) Smooth the line drawing as it has rough edges.
(2) Change color to 349 green
(3) Fill the inside area of the shape to 349 green.

Is this best done in Illustrator? I am more familiar with Indesign and Photoshop but still direction in those too. Thanks for helping.

Joe

This first thing I would try is to place in Illustrator and do a live trace. Then color as you need it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Welcome to the forums fyshy!

no worries, you're in the right spot.

If Joe's suggestion doesn't work too well:

For cleaning up the rough edges, your best bet would be Photoshop, since it is a .tiff file.
I would check the resolution first to see if that is what is causing the rough edges. Low res will be pixelated (stair steppy looking). You may need to jack to res up and then use either the paint brush or the pencil tool to clean the edges.

Is this part of piece or is it the entire job?
How are you going to be printing it?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

I'd start in Photoshop and make sure it's saved as an 8-bit tif grayscale. Then plop it in Illy, and draw a mask to get the smooth edges (unless the shape is particularly complex), and color it the specified Pantone, and save as an .eps (for placement) or .pdf (for workflow).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

can you post a screen shot of the pic?