Working between two shops

Started by gnubler, November 15, 2012, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Has anyone done this? I'm in a situation right now where two different shops want to share me (because I'm totally awesome).

Both employers are ok with it, diff print markets/customer base so no competition issues. I'll get my 40-ish hours and a wider range of experience & type of work.

Yay or nay? I see it as a good fallback in case one doesn't work out.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I think it is a great idea. You get to encounter twice as many idiots daily.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

You're talking about coworkers, right? :laugh:

The more the merrier.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on November 15, 2012, 10:37:21 PMYou're talking about coworkers, right? :laugh:

The more the merrier.

It doesn't have to be coworkers. They are everywhere in this business. Sorta like cockroaches.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

They are everywhere on the planet, there is no escape.

StudioMonkey

I did this a few years ago and the only downside was the second place was 3 hours away.  I got to know the M54 real well.  Other than that, I would definitely do it. 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

WharfRat

So you would be part time at both shops
so no paid vacations, holidays, insurance or any other benefits
since you are under 30 hours?
(Not that everyone gets much in that regard anyway)

If there was some new equipment or workflow I wanted to get my hands on - I would consider it.

MSD

gnubler

I already only work p/t. Don't care about benefits, not that they're offered anyway...

So now I'll be working p/t x 2, I guess.

prepressDog

2 jobs.. does give an extra one to fall back on if things dont seem right. Plus experience for the resume
I'd do it... do you do freelance? Charge them extra...

DigiCorn

I work/consult at two other print shops in the metro area. My boss kind of knows about it, but I think he thinks it's far less than it is. It's not regular work, but I usually get a check or cash for about $50-100 each time I walk in the door whether I'm there 5 minutes or two hours. It's nice.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: prepressDog on November 16, 2012, 08:10:56 AM2 jobs.. does give an extra one to fall back on if things dont seem right. Plus experience for the resume
I'd do it... do you do freelance? Charge them extra...

It's a union shop so they don't operate like that.

I'm going to give it a shot for a while and see how it goes. Might be nice not sitting in the same cave every single day.

jimking

You'll be a non-union part time employee in a union plant? If so, be weary of the politics of union versus non union. Be weary of management. Twice I've worked as a non-union employee in a union plant and did not like it one bit. And it wasn't the union employees I was leary of.

gnubler

I've already been working there for several months. No one cares about the union, nor do I.

t-pat

Quote from: jimking on November 16, 2012, 11:57:05 AMYou'll be a non-union part time employee in a union plant? If so, be weary wary of the politics of union versus non union. Be weary of management. Twice I've worked as a non-union employee in a union plant and did not like it one bit. And it wasn't the union employees I was leary leery of.

omg :)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Is this the new youston? My elite-dar wasn't sending me any signals... :hello: