InDesign Tips-N-Tricks

Started by Sparky, November 21, 2007, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on July 21, 2012, 05:52:19 PMlisted but ... it wasn't a deal breaker :laugh:

Sometimes understatement says it louder. 

:lmao:

BTW, you guys in NA pronounce it Quoork. We, however, pronounce it quaa-ark. It's the sound of an Aussie crow, flying overhead with its plaintive cry.

A much-loved (now deceased) variety show host here from the 70s, Graham Kennedy, was banned from the box for a period for uttering it, as a crow would, to express something else. Innocent times, I guess...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

pspdfppdfxhd

From webster's online:

Quark:

any of several elementary particles that are postulated to come in pairs (as in the up and down varieties) of similar mass with one member having a charge of +2⁄3 and the other a charge of −1⁄3 and are held to make up hadrons

Ahm just sayin.

pspdfppdfxhd

Maybe Quark 10 will be renamed Hadrons 1.0

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on July 21, 2012, 07:03:37 PM
Quote from: Tracy on July 21, 2012, 05:52:19 PMlisted but ... it wasn't a deal breaker :laugh:

Sometimes understatement says it louder. 

:lmao:

BTW, you guys in NA pronounce it Quoork. We, however, pronounce it quaa-ark. It's the sound of an Aussie crow, flying overhead with its plaintive cry.

A much-loved (now deceased) variety show host here from the 70s, Graham Kennedy, was banned from the box for a period for uttering it, as a crow would, to express something else. Innocent times, I guess...
Quark

sounds like a duck with a speech impediment
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

beermonster

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on August 22, 2012, 02:41:43 PMMaybe Quark 10 will be renamed Hardons 1.0

fixed for ya mate - you're welcome
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

gnubler

lol

Especially now that they've Re-re-revolutionized printing. Again.2
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 03, 2012, 07:28:41 AMJust a tip that I'm sure most of you know.

Had to use this last week when I did a project Inluding a 9x12 folder, letterhead, business card and envelope.

With the page size tool you can setup 4 different page sizes for each and keep the whole project in one file then export the pdf's as needed.

I know it's pretty old news but it's one of the best things about the CS5 upgrade that I've worked with.

I digress back to my own post here to cite a couple of more examples with this tip.

We have 2 Kamoris here, a 26 and a 30 inch. I set up a ctp template here with 2 different master page sizes and on certain jobs, we can easily bring in imposed PDF flats on the same file for each press. A big job may run on 2 different presses so it's very convenient. We don't use preps much except for bigger books.

Also, I get called upon to make up black and white ads for a clients magazine which could be 1/4 page, 1/2 page etc. like maybe 5 or so per issue. I just make them in 1 file and change the page size for each and whack out the PDFs as needed.

I really like this feature.

Funny how none of our clients have sent us jobs in this format though.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Rodi

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on August 25, 2012, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 03, 2012, 07:28:41 AMJust a tip that I'm sure most of you know.

Had to use this last week when I did a project Inluding a 9x12 folder, letterhead, business card and envelope.

With the page size tool you can setup 4 different page sizes for each and keep the whole project in one file then export the pdf's as needed.

I know it's pretty old news but it's one of the best things about the CS5 upgrade that I've worked with.

I digress back to my own post here to cite a couple of more examples with this tip.

We have 2 Kamoris here, a 26 and a 30 inch. I set up a ctp template here with 2 different master page sizes and on certain jobs, we can easily bring in imposed PDF flats on the same file for each press. A big job may run on 2 different presses so it's very convenient. We don't use preps much except for bigger books.

Also, I get called upon to make up black and white ads for a clients magazine which could be 1/4 page, 1/2 page etc. like maybe 5 or so per issue. I just make them in 1 file and change the page size for each and whack out the PDFs as needed.

I really like this feature.

Funny how none of our clients have sent us jobs in this format though.
That along with a nice word spacing section was swiped from Freehand, cause we all know you could never do that in Illustrator, would take sales from InDesign :)

Gawd, I despise companies that get a patent on Garamond (without bringing to court prior work). 
Gabba Gabba Hey