Black in placed PDF converting to builds

Started by Slappy, September 12, 2014, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

This is a strange one. Placing a PDF in InDesign CC 2014, the orig supplied PDF was from Publisher, so I converted all the black text to 100% Black, it previews that way in Acrobat. Once placed into InDesign - the black text all reads as built. C70 M67 Y64 K74 to be exact.

There's no ICC Profile assigned to the PDF, and even after the re-fried PDF goes through the RIP, it's built. Here's where it gets even stranger: my co-worker placed the exact same PDF into his copy of InDesign CC 2014 and all the black text remains that way. Oepning MY InDy file on his machine - black are built.

I'm not aware of any setting in InDy that dictates importing PDFs and color profiles, we even made sure the COlor settings under the Edit Menu on our machines are identical.

:wtf:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

What about the black display preferences. Is yours set to make blacks a rich black or black only?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on September 12, 2014, 10:32:32 AMWhat about the black display preferences. Is yours set to make blacks a rich black or black only?
Both On Screen & Printing are set to Output all Black Accurately and NOT as Rich BLack.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 12, 2014, 10:34:59 AMCould also be the document mode is in RGB.
Can you even do that in InDesign? Illustrator sure, but InDy?

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 12, 2014, 12:45:26 PMDid you check this?
Yeah, CMYK as always.

I've got to imagine it's something on the original PDF and for some reason only my copy of ID is doing this.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on September 12, 2014, 12:55:44 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 12, 2014, 10:34:59 AMCould also be the document mode is in RGB.
see my screenshot above
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Slappy on September 12, 2014, 12:55:44 PM

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 12, 2014, 12:45:26 PMDid you check this?
Yeah, CMYK as always.

I've got to imagine it's something on the original PDF and for some reason only my copy of ID is doing this.

Can you take a screenshot of your color settings?
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

DigiCorn

I think I know what it is. I ran a few tests with a 2-color pdf.

You're checking the pdf color value with the eyedropper tool, right?

The eydropper tool only measures in RGB and when you switch the palette to CMYK is gives you a phony value based on the visual reading (but not the actual placed file CMYK value). Turn on separations preview and click off the black. Should turn off ALL BLACK as expected.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, I can't really think of anything else. It has to be something like that. All your settings are totally correct. The question I have in regards, are why does your work partner's machine show correct?

If it isn't what Corn suggests, maybe posting it the offending PDF and letting us have a look at it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 12, 2014, 01:39:21 PMYou're checking the pdf color value with the eyedropper tool, right?
QuoteNope. Seps Preview ftw!

QuoteTurn on separations preview and click off the black. Should turn off ALL BLACK as expected.
Yeah, not so much - that's where the build color is showing up.

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 12, 2014, 01:50:48 PMYeah, I can't really think of anything else. It has to be something like that. All your settings are totally correct. The question I have in regards, are why does your work partner's machine show correct?
That's the riddle.

QuoteIf it isn't what Corn suggests, maybe posting it the offending PDF and letting us have a look at it.
Sure, have at it!

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 12, 2014, 01:50:48 PMYeah, I can't really think of anything else. It has to be something like that. All your settings are totally correct. The question I have in regards, are why does your work partner's machine show correct?

If it isn't what Corn suggests, maybe posting it the offending PDF and letting us have a look at it.
That baffles me too. I assume it's because the partner is:
a) not on the same build of ID as Slappy
b) reading the values in Acro and not ID
c) is lying
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on September 12, 2014, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 12, 2014, 01:39:21 PMYou're checking the pdf color value with the eyedropper tool, right?
QuoteNope. Seps Preview ftw!

QuoteTurn on separations preview and click off the black. Should turn off ALL BLACK as expected.
Yeah, not so much - that's where the build color is showing up.

That's the riddle.

Sure, have at it!
I think it's what i said before...
check out the separation preview
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway