XMF Install & Training

Started by Joe, November 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Yup, it took the tech over a year and 2 trips out to your coast to finally get me where I can do the low level formatting that was needed to get it to work again.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 13, 2013, 12:19:47 PMYeesh!

Imposition is going to be much different for you. :laugh:

But better!

Find out how many renderers you are getting. I recommend two because if you only have one everything will come to a standstill when you are outputting plate files.

Not aware of 'number of renderers' Joe.   :undecided: Unless they bundle things differently here. AFAIK we have always been able to set up jobs/impose while plates are outputting. Where's biggsie when you need him?
Tracy, I gather yours is a small shop. If you will need from time to time to have 2 or more ops doing stuff, make sure you have Client Licenses to match. There would be nothing worse than having to wait for someone to quit XMF Client before you could use it on yours. I hope they covered that with you, (because I forgot to). Then again, the whole marketing /bundling thing may be different there.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

It's just me here, I have had coworkers on occasion but rare

The guy said you can get more than one rip, he is going to check on the renderer for me
He also said the new rips might multitask,
So glad Joe told me to ask about that.

I am getting an Epson 9900, a New loaner processor
Rastor blaster, and hoping to get the G7 calibration
but my boss is trying to not get that :cry:

DigiCorn

Just get G7 compliant. That's free. G7 certified costs lots of $$$
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 13, 2013, 03:00:59 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 13, 2013, 12:19:47 PMYeesh!

Imposition is going to be much different for you. :laugh:

But better!

Find out how many renderers you are getting. I recommend two because if you only have one everything will come to a standstill when you are outputting plate files.

Not aware of 'number of renderers' Joe.   :undecided: Unless they bundle things differently here. AFAIK we have always been able to set up jobs/impose while plates are outputting. Where's biggsie when you need him?
Tracy, I gather yours is a small shop. If you will need from time to time to have 2 or more ops doing stuff, make sure you have Client Licenses to match. There would be nothing worse than having to wait for someone to quit XMF Client before you could use it on yours. I hope they covered that with you, (because I forgot to). Then again, the whole marketing /bundling thing may be different there.

It sounds like you have more than one renderer then (not a separate server). Multi-core CPUs can have multiple renderers running together. If you only have one renderer you can only do one thing at a time.

XMF comes standard with unlimited clients for both workflow and remote (including imposition). At least it does here.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yes, Tracy and anyone else contemplating the XMF move would need to ask those questions. And sounds like they have moved away from that 'Client/seats' silliness; over your way, anyway. One less thing to think about.
And Tracy, getting a bit previous here, but if you do any book work which involves multiple saddle stitches stacked up to make a book, XMF has 'Assembly Sections'. You just create a giant saddle stitch impo, then split into 'Assembly Sections' (individual saddle wraps). It auto-flows the pages. It's a fantastic feature; but I'm getting previous..   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Tracy

I think quite a few things will be a lot easier once I get to know it
especially changing sheet sizes at the last minute
 :cool:

frailer

Sheet size, page size, offsets... easy peasy.

gnubler

Quote from: Tracy on December 16, 2013, 11:07:02 AMespecially changing sheet sizes at the last minute

Why would you have to do that? I've never worked in a shop that did that.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

at least our work orders are wrong a lot :laugh:

Slappy

Quote from: gnubler on December 16, 2013, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: Tracy on December 16, 2013, 11:07:02 AMespecially changing sheet sizes at the last minute

Why would you have to do that? I've never worked in a shop that did that.
Really? I've been burned a few times because the Ops Mgr will "find something" to run a job on that's different than the ticket & it doesn't get changed on the jacket, yet we're supposed to somehow magically know. Meh, plates are cheap these days, right?  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

impodave

<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Tracy

oh yeah, and I feel like I have to catch all the mistakes and not send a bad work order down the line

Tracy

anyone switch from kodak to Fuji Plates?
problems?