XMF Install & Training

Started by Joe, November 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

For one-off W&T sheets... like li'l stepped-out DL flyers 6 up W&T complete, I'll mostly use Flatwork for the ease and simplicity. You can still save a Striipping Sheet Template (hereafter referred to as SSTs for simplicity) for such jobs as Flatwork. You know they're Flatwork. XMF doesn't, and doesn't need to. But be flexible; sometines you may need to set it up as W&T.
Where you DO need to use Flatwork W&T is in a Saddle Stitch job. You have no choice. That Sheet won't do its thing in the SS Job... binding, creep, stuff like that. Shall be at work soon. I'll throw up some screen shots.
Dave's right, once they're there, good to go, and quickly, though. (Sheet window ---> 'Replace'... bingo). That would be true no matter how you constructed the SST in the 1st place. In my situation, I'd be accessing a SST called, say, 'DL_6-up Compl_W&T_6DC'  (The 6DC refers to the double-cuts). That would most likely be constructed, by me anyway, as Flatwork. But you could construct it as a W&T, and still get the same result.
Dave's mention of different plate sizes prompts me to add; though we've got only 1 plate size, we get a lot of one-off oddly imposed jobs. I find it easier to Flatwork em without accessing SSTs. In XMF it's crazy-quick, once you're into the sometimes-not-too-intuitive UI.
Keep the questions at us, there's a bunch of us ready.    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

Hey thanks guys! Starting to get it.
I will have lots of questions once the guy leaves :laugh:

We hit a snag tho, raster blaster will not hook up to our Trendsetter
they are scrambling trying to figure it out

Diddler

Frailer where you say

Where you DO need to use Flatwork is in a Saddle Stitch job. You have no choice. That Sheet won't do its thing in the SS Job... binding, creep, stuff like that.

I use W&T for Saddle Stitch jobs and have never had a problem. Maybe it't too early on Friday morning and I've missed your point?  :shrug:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

impodave

Tracy - who is your installer ... ???
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

frailer

Hot XMF tip from Friday morning here.  :tonofbricks:  Once you're getting familiar with things, and you start using Custom Marks... in our case solid bars across the back edge, mainly... get into the habit of always anchoring your Custom Marks to, say, a corner of the impo. That way, if they call a change in Grip, which they did in this case, from 53 to 60mm; your colour bars (or whatever Marks), don't fall into the job unnoticed. I am just going through all SSTs now and anchoring rogue Custom Marks.
The last time this caught me out was in DynaStrip. Seems to be my preferred fuckup.   :embarrassed:  Well, may not have been me, but buck stops....   :undecided:
Black Friday in prepress here. O' course the corollary of that is, nobody saw it once we'd done it (and missed it), in here. Well, until he'd printed the inside of the cover in question. Stock ---> bin. ouch. Hide.

P.S.  Discussion with thems-outside prepress...  'It's just a matter of checking those Trim lines on the proofs before they come out of here'. Note italics. I.e.... if you guys don't see it, nobody else will.  What can I say. Anyone heard a similar line before?
A 'we shoulda seen it too' would be nice. Not happening.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Tracy

good point about the color bar and marks
I think mine our a distance from the sheet right now (color bar)!

Tracy

frailer

frailer

Apologies Tracy. See red type correction a few posts up. I tell myself I shouldn't post 10 minutes after waking up, but I do persist.   :rolleyes:

Tracy

Thanks Frailer, It's starting to come together
I think I got the W/T down
Did a pretty big Ganged job, no problem.

The new proofer did a big 40" proof in 5 minutes as opposed to 25

impodave

<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Tracy

Do you use step and repeat or do you use the copy function?
also have you ever used the n-up?

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on February 03, 2014, 02:12:03 PMDo you use step and repeat or do you use the copy function?
also have you ever used the n-up?

Not quite sure what you're doing with step-n-repeat, but I just use Flatwork>Sig window> "new"... select number of vert/horizontal pages, rotate as needed, number.. done.
I don't think I've (need to) use(d) n-up.   :undecided:
Screenshots show a W&T bus card setup. But I use Flatwork to keep it simple. The Imposition Pattern on the right I've just pulled up as though I'm about to change it, hence half heads facing down. Using that window I can come in anytime and change the current one; add pages, orientation...

Tracy

Thanks Frailer!
 :laugh: Going thru all the jobs I did and the step and repeat one didn't make sense
with a few options I still don't know the one I will be using yet.

I can get the jobs out, but I have to think a lot
not on autopilot anymore!

Tracy

Is There a way to view the Front and the back sheet together?
I thought I saw that in the webinar