XMF Install & Training

Started by Joe, November 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on February 21, 2014, 11:59:36 AMAnyone else having a  problem with outputting vector pdf proofs?

oh and thanks for all the help this week, it's been crazy!

I think from memory you have to export the PDF to the drive that XMF is on.  I don't think you can export it directly to a Mac or PC running the XMF client. Can you elaborate a bit more Tracy on the problem.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Ah yes, could be what she means. We always have to retrieve them form a folder on the server, as you probably do as well.  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

Thanks Guys! looks like I had a bad setting, it was a font thing

my setting did not say embed complete font
it's taking some issues to get everything dialed in

Also found out my trap setting was wrong too.

impodave

There are always issues after the installer/trainer goes over the horizon ...
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Tracy

new question-
I have been instructed to use pdf x4's which has a jpeg compression
True or False :laugh:

also I am new to pdf workflow, they say refried pdfs are bad
True or False and why

Thanks guys!

mattbeals

Quote from: Tracy on February 24, 2014, 05:38:30 PMnew question-

True or False and why

Thanks guys!

PDF/X-4 allows for JPEG or ZIP/Flate compression. The Adobe defaults are setup to use JPEG.

Refried PDF's are bad because you take native objects from InDesign, create them in PDF, convert to PostScript (which causes everything to be retranslated from PDF to PS which flattens transparency), convert PostScript back to PDF. A long ways around to get a PDF. Only in the most extraordinary circumstance should a PDF be refried.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on February 24, 2014, 05:38:30 PMalso I am new to pdf workflow, they say refried pdfs are bad
True or False and why

Thanks guys!

I doubt there'll too many occasions when you'll need to do that. On the rare occasion XMF doesn't like a PDF, I'll Optimise at a (carefully set) HiRes setting, but still retaining Transparency. If desperate I'll re-Optimise, but check the Transparency button. And then check rendered result very carefully. Assuming it renders, of course.   :laugh:
I think the old re-fry via PostScript is pretty much in disuse now.   :undecided:  Certainly in my little corner.  :punchy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on February 24, 2014, 05:38:30 PMnew question-

True or False and why

Thanks guys!

I use the X4 settings but change the image compression to ZIP.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 24, 2014, 07:49:03 PM
Quote from: Tracy on February 24, 2014, 05:38:30 PMalso I am new to pdf workflow, they say refried pdfs are bad
True or False and why

Thanks guys!

I doubt there'll too many occasions when you'll need to do that. On the rare occasion XMF doesn't like a PDF, I'll Optimise at a (carefully set) HiRes setting, but still retaining Transparency. If desperate I'll re-Optimise, but check the Transparency button. And then check rendered result very carefully. Assuming it renders, of course.   :laugh:
I think the old re-fry via PostScript is pretty much in disuse now.   :undecided:  Certainly in my little corner.  :punchy:

Agreed. Any more I might place a PDF into InDesign and export a PDF from that. It does fix some problems but still retains transparency. Can't remember the last time I converted the PS and distilled back to PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Thanks guys, that clears up a lot of confusion.

and agreed sometime you can't get around re-pdfing out of indy.
But I will try not to.

Hi Matt!

Tracy

any way to print out the numbered layouts without doing print screen?
printed 10 screens-annoying

job didn't have page numbers so I needed to print out so I could number my proof

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on February 26, 2014, 03:26:01 PMany way to print out the numbered layouts without doing print screen?
printed 10 screens-annoying

job didn't have page numbers so I needed to print out so I could number my proof

If you job doesn't have page numbers/folio I usually turn on Blind folio in the Marks list. It will put the page number outside the trim line.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

As Diddler says.... Blind Folios. Your problem goes away. Placement is controlled by a combo of the two fields in the dropdown. The one you see is achieved with Face+Foot. We harangued them to increase the choice so we could do this sort of placement (it was missing originally), and we got them to put it in eventually. Looks like it's what you need on your one.

Tracy

frailer

If you need to squeeze 'em into a small gutter, just pull the font size down.