XMF Install & Training

Started by Joe, November 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 13, 2014, 03:12:13 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 13, 2014, 02:56:56 PM
Quote from: Tracy on March 13, 2014, 10:40:16 AMlet me know if I get annoying.

I think you would probably win the least annoying award around here. :laugh:
...an I would win most annoying.

I wouldn't get too grandiose about it. There may be one or two others.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: impodave on March 13, 2014, 01:41:43 PMYou may have to zoom in before measuring to get an accurate read ...

Yeah, that's what I do here too. Maybe drag in some guides once you've zoomed in. Keyboard shortcuts help too.
-Cmd+F -> Zoom
-Cmd+D -> Select.
-Cmd+R -> Measure
..all right near each other.  :cool:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 13, 2014, 03:58:55 PM
Quote from: impodave on March 13, 2014, 01:41:43 PMYou may have to zoom in before measuring to get an accurate read ...

Yeah, that's what I do here too. Maybe drag in some guides once you've zoomed in. Keyboard shortcuts help too.
-Cmd+F -> Zoom
-Cmd+D -> Select.
-Cmd+R -> Measure

Just be careful of Cmd+Q. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on March 13, 2014, 04:02:55 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 13, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

-Cmd+F -> Zoom
-Cmd+D -> Select.
-Cmd+R -> Measure

Just be careful of Cmd+Q. :laugh:

Yeah, watch that pinkie...   :grin:

Tracy

Thanks guys! :smiley:

Diddler

Anybody know if it is possible from XMF to produce a PDF with the guides showing where the creep is to be applied. I can make it happen on our low res epson proofs with blackmagic ruling up the sheet but can't seem to make it happen on a PDF.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Diddler or impodave may confirm this, but am pretty sure PDF Exports from XMF are just imposed regurgitates, with no creep enhancements. Having said that, I'll test here... as we have a current job with Creep Adjustment.

Diddler

Quote from: frailer on March 25, 2014, 04:30:58 PMDiddler or impodave may confirm this, but am pretty sure PDF Exports from XMF are just imposed regurgitates, with no creep enhancements. Having said that, I'll test here... as we have a current job with Creep Adjustment.

Yeah, your correct Frailer, they are not from the rendered data that Blackmagic uses to create the PDFs. The only way I can of is to measure the printed low res sheet and rule up the PDFs in XMF. But that would be a PITA.

frailer

The only workaround I've got is to Export the formes from Black Magic. You're getting the rendered view, which will reflect the creep adjust. I then Optimise those to bring file size down without sacrificing too much in the way of quality. Sounds fiddlier than it is.
I took some time to get a good Optimise preset, so let me know if you want it.
My policy with creep adjust in regards to customers is to tell them absolutely nothing. Would be in shock if a customer ever noticed that a page was 207 instead of 210 in the centre of a saddle stitch. Am talking 'Creep Face Only' here. Even if the measured it, it's legit prepress manipulation so the job can bind properly. So you could argue that they are interfering in ares they shouldn't be. Well, you could try....  :laugh:

Tracy

curious what black magic is, I don't have it

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I like that first FAQ on the home page:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

wish I had black magic, they are coming to dial in our proofs a little better tho.

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on March 26, 2014, 12:02:19 PMwish I had black magic, they are coming to dial in our proofs a little better tho.

Blackmagic is a simple but very powerful addition to our workflow, essential I would say for our day to day proofing.

Tracy

I'm going to be working on a job today It's an 80pg perfect bind going on cover stock
I have 16 pg and 2-32pg sigs that get cut to 16's

I need to add creep to the 32pg but need to apply it to the 16pg sigs only, Is this possible?
I'll be putting in a call to fuji on this but any thoughts would be great.

don't have the files yet, I do have the previous sample and creep is going to be a must