XMF Install & Training

Started by Joe, November 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impodave

How heavy is the cover stock ??  Sounds like a FUN folding project if you intend on folding down from 16 Pages... :huh:
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

impodave

No creep required on perfect bound projects, they should stack in position when collated.
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

Tracy

just found out they are folding to 8pg sigs now and then binding. 16pg sigs for this paper was ridiculous
the paper is 80lb cover for the whole book (80pgs and they have an image 1/32 close to the edge
I think I'm ok now, but good to know you can add creep on a split sig

I do get that creep shouldn't be needed in a 16pg sig but If you could see how close to the edge I'm working with and the thick paper.

Help! I'm on the edge :laugh:

DigiCorn

yeah - but I think she's thinking if it's a 16-page sig on cover weight stock, it would still experience slight push-out
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Joe

Can you reduce the image a little?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Didn't think of that!
with the sigs being folded in 8ths I didn't add creep.
(we have a communication problem here)

I'm done now, shoo wee that was a big job all the die's and the perfs
found out were only running 1000 the rest will be printing in China :rolleyes:

Thanks all! it helps to just being able to have feedback!

frailer

Sorry Tracy, I thought you mentioned you had Black Magic.    :old:
On that book, are you talking separate (saddle stitch) sections that are stacked to complete the book? I.e.... Section Sewn? If so, you'll need the overall (measured) creep, ideally, from a mockup of the 16pp. Then do the calculation as per the Creep Video, and apply/switch on/off as Diddler shows. Should be home and hosed.
You'll also need to use 'Assembly Sections', (2nd icon), to separate the nested saddle sections to enable automatic page flow.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

I don't normally put creep on anything under 50 pages SS. I've never had to creep a PB book but combine a moron designer, thick stock and 16 page forms and maybe it's possible. If the designer is that clueless that there is a element so close that a 8 pg form needs creep please PM me the address, I have a package that needs to be sent. 

http://www.poopsenders.com/
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I creep about 20-24 pages and more, depending on paper thickness. If it's 100# text, I start at 20, and 60-80# at 24, but if it's like 20# Bond, I'll let it go maybe as far as 32. We usually do those digitally, so we take a face trim, and I want to make sure shit is outta the way.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

we creep anything over 12 pages
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I actually was going to add creep to the 8pg sigs :laugh:
I talked to the lady at the bindery and she's going to grind extra if needed and watch the edges for me
this 8.5 wide book fits into a 8.562 wide die cut box foldy thing so I couldn't have her overtrim into the bleed

I was pretty much a spas yesterday, Im the one who has to figure the dies and imposition etc..
I got no peeps, well cept you guys :kiss:

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on March 28, 2014, 12:33:23 PMI actually was going to add creep to the 8pg sigs :laugh:
I talked to the lady at the bindery and she's going to grind extra if needed and watch the edges for me
this 8.5 wide book fits into a 8.562 wide die cut box foldy thing so I couldn't have her overtrim into the bleed

I was pretty much a spas yesterday, Im the one who has to figure the dies and imposition etc..
I got no peeps, well cept you guys :kiss:
Easy in XMF to create a white/non-print gutter in your Sig. In Sig window>Gutters>l'il hash icon. Set your spine to the required amount, as discussed with Bindery Lady, of course. We often do 2mm.
Gotta make sure your spine Bleeds are set to zero, otherwise there'll be ink there.
You have chosen Perfect Bound up front? Just checkin'    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

selected perfect bind-check!

hmm, didn't know to remove spine bleed
I will check out xmf on that

edit: I see what your saying

Joe

It's up to the bindery really about ink in the spine. Some want it. Some don't. Some don't care. The theory is that the glue holds better on plain paper than paper covered in ink.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.