News:

Main Menu

Publishing

Started by Foozball, January 06, 2011, 08:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

Anyone here ever started their own publication?
If so what was it, mag/newspaper, and what happened?

I'm considering starting one here, and am slowly wading my way through the nay-sayers ... it's looking more positive the longer I stay with it though!  :banana:

gnubler

Yes. Started an underground newspaper that at least one member here knows about.  :ninja:

It was totally "nonprofit" and despite developing a small following it became pointless after a year or so. Are you going after advertising $$? Also, I quickly became the sole journalist/editor/publisher/delivery driver and it was too much work.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Working for the dark-side, especially publication work is a risky business. Just NEVER let your vision be overcome by greed. Never let the customer dictate your deadlines and ALWAYS pay your bills. The rest is easy-breezy, beautiful Cover-Girl.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

You seem to be into makeup lately. I thought you liked the *natural* look, no?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Foozball

I'm thinking about going after bars and restaurants in the local area (1 mile sq), been looking it for a few years now and I'm getting a LOT of people onside now as they can see there COULD be a niche there!
I'm now also trying to figure out how to attract some beer companies after that. :drunk3:
The area where I live, is ridiculous as far as food, alcohol and nightlife goes! :wink:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 06, 2011, 11:00:08 PMYou seem to be into makeup lately. I thought you liked the *natural* look, no?

Easy-breezy isn't caked and plastered.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 06, 2011, 09:38:22 PMYes. Started an underground newspaper that at least one member here knows about.  :ninja:

It was totally "nonprofit" and despite developing a small following it became pointless after a year or so. Are you going after advertising $$? Also, I quickly became the sole journalist/editor/publisher/delivery driver and it was too much work.

Add sales person and designer as well. I think this is the big thing. Unless you've got some help you have to wear every hat every day.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

NefariousDrO

I'm not sure what your plan is at this point, given that it's many months since the last comments on this thread, but my housemate runs a publication that's web-only. They update once a week, and she has several authors who contribute, all of this is a paying gig, no less. She spends ALOT of time on it, though. She's using twitter and Facebook heavily to promote the site and their doings, which has greatly increased traffic (and thus impacted revenues) but as I said, alot of work. She's pretty much full-time on that, these days.

Foozball

Funny you should -bump- this thread!  :wink:
I've actually been talking to some people in the last week, and it's looking better and better.
My idea is actually forming into something more solid, so now I can actually see how it might work, just saving up some capital at the moment.

I'm probably looking at using facebook as some kind of online focal-point.

The "idea" still needs some work though!  :wink:

gnubler

Farabomb

Thought the stuff you snorted is called Charlie Sheen now?  :huh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I only snort wasabi.

Farabomb

I wasn't implying you directly but all the cool kids snorting stuff.

I did get suspended for snorting chalk in school once.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job