Apple Hardware Test Error Code

Started by AaronH, July 19, 2017, 06:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys, hoping someone has had experience with this one. I've been getting these weird colored squares show up on my display they seem evenly spaced and show up in bright vivid neon-ish/pastel colors and they're small, maybe 1/8th of an inch big with same spacing in clusters. I figured my graphics card is giving up the ghost. The iMac I'm on is a 2011 so it's not unlikely to get hardware failure, heck, my harddrive failed late last year and had to be replaced - got an SSD out of it so that was cool.

Anyway, I run the Extended Apple Hardware Test and get an error code: 4SNS/1/40000000: TH00-9.000

From what I've been able to gather, the 4SNS means a sensor, the T means Temperature and the H means Harddrive. Other than that I'm finding people needing logic boards, cables, fans, motherboards and graphics cards replaced who have described my issue or error code. My iMac is six years old at work and I'm wondering if I should talk to the owner('s son) about getting it repaired or should I get a new or refurbished iMac or Mac Pro.

Thanks guys!
AaronH
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

I think the only way you can find out for sure the problem is take it to an Apple repair center. It could be the logic board. The graphics board. A bad hard drive. Some iMacs can have just the graphics board replaced. Some can't. They are part of the logic board. Some can't be removed though so on those you have to replace the entire logic board. My money is betting on the graphics board.

But seriously it is 6 years old and out of warranty. It will cost almost as much as new/refurbished iMac if the whole logic board has to be replaced and it will never get any faster than it is now.

My 2012 27" iMac had the same symptoms with the colored squares. Luckily for me it was still under Apple Care and Apple replaced the logic board twice, the graphics card once, the hard drive twice, and some other board that I don't know what it was. And while they were doing this work they damaged the display not once but twice. After the second time of the display being ruined and still having issues with the graphics card they replaced the iMac with a 2013 model. The point is though that even Apple sometimes can't find out for sure what is wrong. Cut your losses with something this old and get a new machine. Just my $0.02 worth.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Thanks Joe, that's a pretty valuable $0.02. I'll talk to management about getting a new machine.

I'm hoping I can get a new, new one since the cheapest refurbished is like a 2014 model for $300 less than the new.

Joe

We just bought refurbished 27" iMacs back at the end of last year. If you go that route make sure to spend the extra $$$$ to get the i7 CPU and the Fusion HD if at all possible. I will tell you there are some incompatibilities with the display on the Retina 5K and some older applications that don't understand it. But overall I love it.

[attachimg=1 width=400]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Alright. Thank you Joe, that should help me out.