Looking for small, durable, external HD

Started by gnubler, October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Now accepting recommendations. I'm looking for the smallest available external USB drive, minimum 300Gb but preferably 500Gb. Something durable (rubber enclosure) and waterproof would be awesome if such a thing exists.

I heard that HD prices have currently risen due to flooding in SE Asia, is this true? (hence my interest in waterproof...j/k)  Just looking for something small I can grab & go in case of a crisis situation on the homefront.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Have you checked teh Goog? Goog knows all.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Pretty much anything from OWC  Have you been asleep when these discussions have come up?   :whip:  Am having a GOM day.

You could always add an OWC SSD to one of these ... if you're planning to drag it up on top of a mesa to camp.   :undecided:  With the clear case you'll know if any scorpions have crawled inside.

My son uses one of those to tote audio files around for his sound work. Great little units.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PMNow accepting recommendations. I'm looking for the smallest available external USB drive, minimum 300Gb but preferably 500Gb. Something durable (rubber enclosure) and waterproof would be awesome if such a thing exists.

I heard that HD prices have currently risen due to flooding in SE Asia, is this true? (hence my interest in waterproof...j/k)  Just looking for something small I can grab & go in case of a crisis situation on the homefront.

External Hard Drives

Damn, that 2 TB Seagate for $80 is sold out. :cry: Go with a Seagate over the Western Digital.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Yes, I have heard of Google and OWC. Always looking for personal recommendations over sorting thru the plethora of crap out there.

Joe, is the sold out status due to the flooding, do you know?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I would guess more due to the fact it was $80 for a 2 tb drive. They go fast at that price.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I paid only slightly more than that for a 2Tb drive at Best Buy earlier this year and there wasn't a rush on them or anything. Plenty in stock.

tapdn

Just replaced my external with WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB for Time Machine backup. Small, relatively cheap, good reviews. No problems so far.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

gnubler

Ahem, back on topic...I'm looking specifically for a very small & durable HD, not just a typical desktop model. I saw a few earlier this year when I was researching, I think LaCie makes a couple with the rubber enclosures. Also saw some smaller pocket size ones at Best Buy but at the time I think the biggest one was 250Gb.

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Tracy

there you go again! sheesh
 :laugh: :laugh:

Farabomb

You probably want a laptop drive based one. They are made to take abuse better. I have 2x 500g My passport drives here that come with me everywhere and I've had no issue. You can even get a rugged case for them now. Check WD's site. 
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PMNow accepting recommendations. I'm looking for the smallest available external USB drive, minimum 300Gb but preferably 500Gb. Something durable (rubber enclosure) and waterproof would be awesome if such a thing exists.

External Hard Drives

Damn, that 2 TB Seagate for $80 is sold out. :cry: Go with a Seagate over the Western Digital.
Given my recent experience with not one but two Seagate external eSata 1TB drives failing and my past history with bad WD drives, I'd look for option 3. Personally I like Hitachi, but I don't know if they make an external. Does Buffalo, or Maxtor make one? I'm through with Seagate and WD.

Plus, I bought a Seagate 1TB external for home use last year and it said it was 64-bit compatible, but really wasn't. I had to do all kinds of shit to make it work, until they finally made a true 64-bit driver for Vista... and even now it still doesn't work right... I mean it has no power switch and it's supposed to shut down when Vista shuts down, but about 5% of the time, it doesn't.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway