Looking for small, durable, external HD

Started by gnubler, October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Quote from: NefariousDrO on November 01, 2011, 03:44:28 PMfailures, not of the drives, but the power-supply!

Ditto. I am dealing with two drives with flaky power supplies. One I bought a new enclosure for and that power supply pooped out after ten uses! No more enclosures because a new, bigger drive is almost the same price.

I took the plunge today and bought 2 externals at Best Buy. Will report details tomorrow. I may even return and buy another, the price is unbeatable. (they have a limit of 2 per person due to Thailand flooding so I'll just be a different person tomorrow)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

This should be noted. Mod takes things off-topic (a bit  :cheesy: +  :embarrassed:  ). Gnubler brings it back to topic.  :faint:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chilbear

This could be the only time the Gnub has brought a topic back ON topic. Jus' sayin'. :hello:

gnubler

Hector's whippings have straightened me up some.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

What's the best way to clone one external drive to another? I don't think CCC will do it.

Joe

Why won't CCC do it? I use it for that frequently?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

CCC works like a champ on Mac drives, I'ver used it on my mac at home and on several here at work. No problems yet..
I just used a Seagate product (DiscWizardSetup.en.exe) to clone a boot drive on a PC to a new drive and it worked like a champ.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I'm already having issues reformatting the Seagate drive. (see attch'd error)

WTF am I doing wrong? I doubled checked on the Seagate site and that's exactly what I'm doing - erase & reformat Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I keep getting the error.
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207851&NewLang=en

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on November 02, 2011, 11:58:53 AMI'm already having issues reformatting the Seagate drive. (see attch'd error)

WTF am I doing wrong? I doubled checked on the Seagate site and that's exactly what I'm doing - erase & reformat Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I keep getting the error.
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207851&NewLang=en

If it came formatted as NTFS the mac can't write to it out of the box. You might try deleting the partition on the Mac first and then recreating it. If that doesn't work you will probably have to take it to a PC and delete the partitions and then take it back to the mac to recreate the partitions and then format it as the Mac disk.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

If you wanted the Mac formatted one it's $150 extra.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Ya, they had that on the shelf at Best Buy. I have to snicker at the Mac doosh who would buy the same drive for a higher price.

I guess the snicker is on me because I'm still fcuking with the reformat. Rebuilt partition on Win XP, brought back to Mac and I'm still getting the error. Will tackle it again tomorrow.

David

Quote from: Farabomb on November 02, 2011, 01:06:14 PMIf you wanted the Mac formatted one it's $150 extra.

with a $30 monthly club fee
and the annual dues of $120
Livin' la Vida Loca