Word art and Fonts

Started by Halftone, April 21, 2008, 10:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halftone

This is something that has really annoyed me over the past. We get a file that has WordArt in it and uses fonts. The fonts link up incorrectly of course when I don't have the proper font activated. When double clicking the WordArt on the PC, the font field is listed blank and when I do it on the Mac the font substitution font is listed, not what font is really needed.
Is there any way to find out what font it's really supposed to be outside of contacting a client?
Sailing is a way of life, the only life.

jezza

Have you tried dragging the file onto the Photoshop or Illustrator icon and opening that way? That should give you a font warning assuming the file can be opened in either program. Just a thought
one sick prepress mofo

doubting_thomas

Quote from: Halftone on April 21, 2008, 10:04:55 AMIs there any way to find out what font it's really supposed to be outside of contacting a client?

Not that I'm aware of. You could try WhatTheFont, but I don't think there's a
sure way to do it unless you know what font it is, then activate that font and
generate a PDF. Stupid feature, Word Art.

jimking

Are you able to generate a pdf from Word on the PC or Mac? If you can then you can run a preflight from Acrobat and or Pitstop which should tell you what the missing font is.

EyeTech

I think Wordart transform the font into a graphic element so any font info is lost.

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

doubting_thomas

Quote from: EyeTech on April 22, 2008, 10:48:52 AMI think Wordart transform the font into a graphic element so any font info is lost.

This is correct. How handy of them    :angry:

Halftone

Well, I actually opened it up in NeoOffice finally and it actually told me what font it was supposed to be. I just wish Microsoft could find a way to make that easier to figure out. It's not really that hard to add.
Sailing is a way of life, the only life.

Captain_Type

You can also open it in a raw text editor (such as Smultron).

In the example I played around with, the font name (counterintuitively) immediately follows the copy in the WordArt.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter