InDesign Tips-N-Tricks

Started by Sparky, November 21, 2007, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on November 05, 2010, 09:12:11 AMYou really are an alien.

Second person to say that this week (the other one was in real life). You do realize Mars probably used to be colonized by our ancestors. I'm one of their crossovers.

:offtopic:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

When exporting a PDF from Indesign CS5, you will not get a progress bar indicating if and when the PDF file is done.
But wait, there is one!
Go to the Window menu, drag down to Utilities, over to Background Tasks. This will pop up you missing progress bar for your export.

Enjoy!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Chilbear

NIce - if only it would allow the window to close while it did it's job (as previous) in the background.

David

yeah, but that would be a step forward
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Chilbear

Ahh new feature at least to me.

You can now place a INDD file into another as if it was a PDF when building forms, I am imposing a Xmas card from my 2X per year client that runs OS9 Ragemaker. Opened just file in INDD where CS3 was a little of a fight. Sweet.

frailer

Quote from: david on November 11, 2010, 10:09:57 AMWhen exporting a PDF from Indesign CS5, you will not get a progress bar indicating if and when the PDF file is done.
But wait, there is one!
Go to the Window menu, drag down to Utilities, over to Background Tasks. This will pop up you missing progress bar for your export.

Enjoy!

Yeah, this was covered a little while back. Well hidden, hey! I have it at the bottom of my windows as part of my Workspace. Our know-all dezinger was sending 0KB files because she had no idea it was still Exporting.   :laugh:  Until I set her to right.   :grin:  I then received my quota of the single yearly compliment, which I languorously bathed in for the rest of the day.   :sarcasm:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: Chilbear on November 11, 2010, 03:09:40 PMAhh new feature at least to me.

You can now place a INDD file into another as if it was a PDF when building forms, I am imposing a Xmas card from my 2X per year client that runs OS9 Ragemaker. Opened just file in INDD where CS3 was a little of a fight. Sweet.

and object layer visibility works with these placed indds - found this one the hard way with some toolbag who built their varnishes on a bunch of indd files then placed them in another.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Guess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate? I couldn't imagine not at least looking at them before sending them off to wherever. Maybe it's a volume thing - on an average day I probably make fewer than 50 PDFs for various purposes, but I look at them all.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

If you knew this lady, you wouldn't even ponder that.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

boosted29

Quote from: gnubler on November 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PMGuess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate? I couldn't imagine not at least looking at them before sending them off to wherever. Maybe it's a volume thing - on an average day I probably make fewer than 50 PDFs for various purposes, but I look at them all.

Yeah I don't understand why anyone wouldn't at least take a glance at the PDF. I have had fonts blow out and image framing in the past so I check every single PDF. Once when created, and then again if it is attached to an email right before sending.
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on November 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PMGuess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate? I couldn't imagine not at least looking at them before sending them off to wherever. Maybe it's a volume thing - on an average day I probably make fewer than 50 PDFs for various purposes, but I look at them all.

You probably are. I know none of my customers do.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

Quote from: gnubler on November 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PMGuess I'm the only one who visually looks at each and every PDF I generate?

I do. :shrug: