News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

The BB experiment is now officially over. Got bored with all the workarounds and making it o stuff it should have apps for, if they hadn't upgraded the firmware and f**ked up all the stuff that used to work before they broke it.

Blanked out all my personal info, wiped it's memory and reset the BB to factory specs and took it back to Fry's. No issues with returning it, even after 2+ months and they gave me full store credit even. Got the Roku XS, which was $94 (I paid $170 for my BB). Fry's matches all internet pricing, which is cool.

Only spent about 30 minutes setting up and playing with it. Other than not getting it configured with PlayOn, Plex or XBMC to play network media files, it kicks BBs ass. Without having to do anything at all, it was out-of-the-box ready to run Hulu + and Amazon VOD without having to go through a third-party or altering code. I would still like a fully functioning web browser and ESPN networks, which do not run on the Wii, but after a quick Google search this a.m., I found this old post: http://www.playon.tv/blog/playon-launches-wii-beta
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Plex was pretty easy to setup but the channel is not in the channel store. It's a private channel you have to add from your Roku account at their web site. Just enter plex as the code and it will automatically add the channel and it will find the Plex server on your network (assuming you have it running somewhere). As far as I know there is no way to use XBMC with it. I think there is something for PlayOn but PlayOn is not free.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I was wondering how that private channel thing worked. I glanced at it last night and it sounds like if you have a movie collection and I have a movie collection, we can give each other our private channel info and we can share our libraries, provided the HD that has the media is turned on, and active on the local network that Roku is connected to. It's not supposed to be used that way (did we NOT learn anything from Napster?) but it could be. I think what I read it said something about a business presentation, as an example. Maybe if you're interested, once we get up an running we can swap info offline and double our viewing options.

Was just reading (here) that you can load PlayOn with the Roku, and there is a Navi-X plug-in for it, which is way cool.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 22, 2012, 11:47:08 AMI was wondering how that private channel thing worked. I glanced at it last night and it sounds like if you have a movie collection and I have a movie collection, we can give each other our private channel info and we can share our libraries, provided the HD that has the media is turned on, and active on the local network that Roku is connected to. It's not supposed to be used that way (did we NOT learn anything from Napster?) but it could be. I think what I read it said something about a business presentation, as an example. Maybe if you're interested, once we get up an running we can swap info offline and double our viewing options.

Was just reading (here) that you can load PlayOn with the Roku, and there is a Navi-X plug-in for it, which is way cool.

Link to where it says you can share Roku content?

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

I read it online when I was setting it up. It said something like: If you want to create a private channel for a business meeting... something like that. Can't find it now, but found this: To add a private or beta channel you must first get a code from the channel developer. Second, you must have a Roku account, and you must be logged in. This ensures that unauthorized users cannot add a private channel to your Roku player without your consent. Third, you enter the code provided by the channel developer here.  After linking, the private or beta channel will appear on your Roku player's home screen, alongside your other channels (like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc).

http://www.roku.com/developer

Found this just now: http://www.squidoo.com/roku-channels
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

The code for Plex is plex. Still don't know how you could share that over over the internet though.

Joe

Just installed the USB channel and hooked up a spare USB drive to the boxee. Copied two movies I had ripped previously. One played great. One gets hung up on loading. Will have to investigate further later.

DigiCorn

I have a 3TB external and a 1TB external. The idea, maybe, is to take a bunch of stuff I like and copy it to the 1TB and plug into Roku so it's just there; it's a USB. The 3TB is for all backup stuff and extra media files.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Depending on Joe's success that's what I'm planning. I have a 2tb external that I will fill with media (transcoding if needed) and leave it connected. Then buy a larger external for backup use.

Hmmm... wonder if you can transfer from the SD to the USB external through the Roku box. That way I can update the external drive while leaving it plugged in.

I also wonder if the Roku box will spin down the external USB when not in use. That would be perfect.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 22, 2012, 02:55:03 PMDepending on Joe's success that's what I'm planning. I have a 2tb external that I will fill with media (transcoding if needed) and leave it connected. Then buy a larger external for backup use.

Hmmm... wonder if you can transfer from the SD to the USB external through the Roku box. That way I can update the external drive while leaving it plugged in.

I also wonder if the Roku box will spin down the external USB when not in use. That would be perfect.

My guess is no and no. At least I don't see any kind of file management possibility in the USB channel and I just don't think the Roku is smart enough to spin down an unused drive. And there was nothing in the documentation about it. It's easy enough to just turn it off when not in use.

I think the movie that wouldn't play was a file I was testing different transcoding settings with Handbrake. I will test more thoroughly tomorrow. I left about 30 movies copying to the external I'm planning on using with Roku.

Farabomb

Again, not a deal breaker if it doesn't. Unplugging and updating won't be all that hard.

I am wondering if the dock part of the external I have actually powers it down or it's the OS. It's possible it has firmware that will put it into sleep if it detects long idle periods. All my older externals never did spin down.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 22, 2012, 04:09:17 PMAgain, not a deal breaker if it doesn't. Unplugging and updating won't be all that hard.

I am wondering if the dock part of the external I have actually powers it down or it's the OS. It's possible it has firmware that will put it into sleep if it detects long idle periods. All my older externals never did spin down.

The one I'm going to use doesn't have a fan or a switch to turn it off and I know it spins all day if not in use so I will just unplug it when not in use. Newer more expensive enclosures I suppose could have that option. I know none of mine do though.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 22, 2012, 04:20:20 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on February 22, 2012, 04:09:17 PMAgain, not a deal breaker if it doesn't. Unplugging and updating won't be all that hard.

The one I'm going to use doesn't have a fan or a switch to turn it off and I know it spins all day if not in use so I will just unplug it when not in use. Newer more expensive enclosures I suppose could have that option. I know none of mine do though.
The 1TB does not have a on/off switch and no fan but it does spin down when I shut down Vista 64-bit. I updated the firmware to run 64-bit, so I imagine I'll have to reformat for use with Roku.

The 3TB is still in the box, so I don't know what all it's got. It's a Hitachi. The 1TB is a Seagate.

The Roku manual says it uses less power than a night light and there's no on/off switch; it just stays on all the time (so it can run automatic updates, etc.). I noticed after about 10 minutes of no use last night, mine went into sleep mode (you can change the length of time in the settings). I'm curious to see if this sleep mode is enough to spin down the external?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Mine doesn't go into sleep mode. The screen saver just kicks after after the designated amount of time.