Mystery font identifiers

Started by gnubler, March 06, 2008, 12:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

WhatTheFont allows you to upload an image file of the unknown font and does a remarkable job of listing several possible font names. I just used this with a crappy JPG on a customer's website (so I can recreate their logo) and I was able to find the font name AND find a free download of the font within a minute. Nice.

Identifont is similar, but you answer a series of questions about the mystery font rather than upload an image. The more characters you have of the mystery font, the better, as you'll be asked about letter Q, question mark, numbers, etc.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I've never had any luck with Identifont. Answered questions for 20 minutes it seemed and the font it gave me finally wasn't anything close to the original. :laugh:

I'll definitely give WTF a try the next time I need it though. Thanks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

And here I thought everyone knew all about What the Font. I can be a life saver, or add to your misery.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

ninjaPB_43

I usually just sub in Courier..    is that wrong?  :evil:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 06, 2008, 12:46:25 PMI usually just sub in Courier..    is that wrong?  :evil:

You design school graduates... :swing:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Gutnbg

That must be especially pretty when using a pseudo-Courier (Italic, bold, etc.....)   :grin:

Keep up the good work and you'll graduate to "designer."   LOL
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

Pointyhat

I use WTF constantly. If it can't identify the upload you can upload it to
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/

which is also a fun place to go if you have a few mins to identify a font for someone.

gnubler

There are some true font geeks out there. I'm one of them.

About five years ago I could identify nearly any font by sight. Now with all the free fonts on the interwebs...ferget it.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print

Font identifying is a real talent, coming from print production rather than design I couldn't ID courier from shinola script. Of course, over the years you recognize fonts more and more but I really admire you folks that can REALLY ID fonts with such ease. I'll never be that good.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

DigitalCrapShoveler

I just start at suitcase A, and go through the alphabet till I find it. I used to be good at identifying them too, but like Gnubler said, with so many fonts on the web, who could identify them all. If the customer don't mind paying me to find it, than I don't mind going through them. I have to try one of these utilities though, I am very curious.
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

...not to mention the clients embracing PDF...
font? what's a font?
 :cool:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

jimking

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/  is pretty damn good. I can't think of a time it failed me. Don't you guys just love it when you receive lasers or a pdf for a job and by just glancing at it you know right off the bat the job was done on a PC because of the fonts it uses.  :wow:

gnubler

Quote from: jimking on March 07, 2008, 01:29:14 PMDon't you guys just love it when you receive lasers or a pdf for a job and by just glancing at it you know right off the bat the job was done on a PC because of the fonts it uses.

Algerian and Chiller are two of my personal favorites.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Unicode fonts are by far MY favorite! :(
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking