Power Layout problems

Started by beck, December 10, 2009, 08:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

Running Power Layout, 8.6 Rev 5.

Problem we're having is building a new layout, rerun files.  

When the links are placed, they are showing up invisible on screen.  They are there, because when checked in DotSpy, everything looks good.  However, when invisible on screen, we cannot generate a CIP3 file for the press.

The files were run about 2 months ago, and everything was fine.

Ideas anyone?

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

G_Town

beck

Yes.  Here's what I found out while I'm waiting for a call back from support.  I don't think it's a Power Layout problem.

All the invisible jobs were pulled from an archive DVD.
I pulled some jobs from the TRASH folder, and they placed fine.  But the same file burned to a DVD is invisible.

Obviously, something is happening either burning to or pulling from the DVD.  I've tried random DVDs, some are invisible, some work fine.

Time to start drinking early, I guess.
Joe

G_Town

Quote from: beck  on December 10, 2009, 08:50:23 AMYes.  Here's what I found out while I'm waiting for a call back from support.  I don't think it's a Power Layout problem.

All the invisible jobs were pulled from an archive DVD.
I pulled some jobs from the TRASH folder, and they placed fine.  But the same file burned to a DVD is invisible.

Obviously, something is happening either burning to or pulling from the DVD.  I've tried random DVDs, some are invisible, some work fine.

Time to start drinking early, I guess.

Somehow the preview is getting stripped off the links? I know we use windows preview when generating a preview for the link file because macintosh preview won't show up in powerstepper for some weird reason.

beck

Windows Preview even though all work is done on Macs?

I'm in the process of re-burning archive disks on different machines, @ different speeds, to try & figger out WTF is going on.
Joe

G_Town

Quote from: beck  on December 10, 2009, 09:19:55 AMWindows Preview even though all work is done on Macs?

I'm in the process of re-burning archive disks on different machines, @ different speeds, to try & figger out WTF is going on.

Yea one time I saw that a ways back and thought how smart I was that I had found it was set to windows preview then changed it to mac and nothing showed up in powerstepper, I bet if you remade the links they would show up again.

beck

That's the problem.  We're archiving stuff, but if we have to start remaking links every time we pull a job off archive, what's the sense in archiving?

Joe

G_Town

Quote from: beck  on December 10, 2009, 09:37:16 AMThat's the problem.  We're archiving stuff, but if we have to start remaking links every time we pull a job off archive, what's the sense in archiving?

Don't have the storage capacity to keep them on a spinning drive?

beck

The owner doesn't understand the reality of the digital world.  He figures once you buy a computer and a server, you'll never need to buy another unless it breaks down.  Department Supervisor, President & GM have been fighting for a couple of years for a real server, but to no avail. 

He still uses a typewriter to type his letters - HONEST TO GOD.  He does not own a PC at work (for sure) or at home (I hear).

beck
Joe

G_Town

Wow a typewriter, that's old school had a guy at the old place that was still banging away on one about 10 years ago until he had to start entering orders on a peecee.

It's sad when they aren't tech savvy enough to know that this shit becomes obsolete after a year or two, I've always been lucky enough to work somewhere where they understand how important it is. Right now we are expanding our plateroom and renovating the prep area, the GM want's it to be bright shiny and hi-tech.

beck

The 3 guys I mentioned want everything updated, but the owner has the checkbook, and reviews EVERY purchase.

Were screwed.
Joe

Joe

Beck, where are you doing the archive? If it's a PC make sure the archive software understands AFP or you'll lose the resource fork of the files during archiving/retrieval. Could be your issue. If you are archiving on the Mac and making Mac DVD's...nevermind.

Our owner still uses a typewriter for letters. Has a 17" Intel Mac iMac sitting about 3 feet away from his typewriter.. Still uses the typewriter.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beck

Burning them on a Mac.  No special software.  

I pulled 6 random DVDs.  2 worked OK, 4 did not.  The thing is, since we've had Power Layout (2005) this just started happening with Archive disks burned around Labor Day of this year.  No new software or updates around that time.  And of course, it's not all the disks, just some of them.  :blowup:

I copied some of the files from our backup hard drive (we have to manually backup our files) and those worked OK.  It's all pointing to the DVD thing.   

beck
Joe

Joe

Never been a fan of CD/DVD medium for archiving. I've got personal disks at home from a couple of years ago I made for backing stuff up and I can't even read them now.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

For now, can the pressman use the old CIP3s, like call up the old Job and rerun or the layouts changed? Are you unarchiving complete job files or just ripped data?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff