New TV 'networking technology'?

Started by frailer, February 09, 2011, 02:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Wife heard a tech commentator on late night radio talking about it. Stating "You'd be crazy to buy a TV right now...wait for it to be come in..." etc.. Next years seemed to be mooted.
Net research has revealed nothing. Anyone have an idea what he may have been talking about?   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Could be talking about an internet capable TV but they are already on the market. You can stream stuff like Hulu Plus and Google TV directly to the TV without a computer.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

That could be it. We're a little, ahem, behind here sometimes. Mainly to do with manufacturers' release schedules, I think. Big markets 1st, then others follow.

haha...update Joe. Described the above to wife..."Yeah, that sounds like it!"    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

delooch

Quote from: frailer on February 09, 2011, 03:26:07 AMThat could be it. We're a little, ahem, behind here sometimes. Mainly to do with manufacturers' release schedules, I think. Big markets 1st, then others follow.

haha...update Joe. Described the above to wife..."Yeah, that sounds like it!"    :laugh:

they got add-on boxes that do this now (Logitech is pushing them now) - pretty neat stuff, but because im already a tech dude, my PC is already wired into the TV so its pretty much already done.

I will say just pressing a button on the remote is much better than f-ing with the PC/TV setup though

Farabomb

I used to have a PC next to the TV years ago. Had a ATi all-in-wonder and another TV tuner, yada, yada. It was great when it worked but I was constantly having to screw with it to get it to work right. Now I'm streaming everything to the Xbox and even though it has it's limitations (only certain file types, can be a moody bitch and fast forwarding blows) it works well. I'm in the market for a flatscreen after tax time and I've been looking at This guy. I'm not sold on 3D but the internal wireless is a good idea in my eyes.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on February 09, 2011, 01:01:37 PMcan be a moody bitch and fast forwarding blows

Sounds familiar.  :cheesy:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 09, 2011, 01:01:37 PMI used to have a PC next to the TV years ago. Had a ATi all-in-wonder and another TV tuner, yada, yada. It was great when it worked but I was constantly having to screw with it to get it to work right. Now I'm streaming everything to the Xbox and even though it has it's limitations (only certain file types, can be a moody bitch and fast forwarding blows) it works well. I'm in the market for a flatscreen after tax time and I've been looking at This guy. I'm not sold on 3D but the internal wireless is a good idea in my eyes.

I personally would stay away from the 3D TV's. Your paying extra for something that there is very little broadcast for. And it will get cheaper down the line.

Farabomb

Heh, one of the reasons I haven't bought one yet is becasue I have yet to find a cable or internet company in this podunk burg. Yea my video games will look better but that's about it. 3D is a fad I feel and I try and avoid any 1st gen technology anyway.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

Joe, not only will it get cheaper but it will get better, less expensive and more content will be available.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

tapdn

Remember they said the same thing about HDTV
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

It's just too early for me to jump into the 3D pond. I might have been the last person on the planet to buy their first VCR too. :tongue:

delooch

im still refusing the blue-ray conversion, an anything with an "i-" in front of the name.

Joe

I do have an iMac but that is the only thing I own with the "i" in front of it. Nothing blue-ray either...

gnubler

I have an i-Pod. Two, actually, and neither one works well.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

When I upgraded my HDTV about 14 months ago, I had to go for the new LED technology... and compared to standard LCD, it rocks!

But the 3D came out a little after and I refuse to spend more $$$ when it's only in limited programming. My buddy just got one last month and he says you need different glasses for each bluray 3D film - they don't use a common lens apparently. How stupid is this? Just another way for Hollywood to get some extra $$$ out of us.

I am currently debating getting rid of DirecTv and hooking up a "media" 'puter to my tv and just stream stuff I want to watch from hulu, netflix and the network sites that make their programming available online.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway